➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Lids/doors will be on the top to lift up.
NOOOO! Don't do the lid lift up opening. Quail flush upwards. The quail tractor I have has lids that open upwards. I bend down to grab water and food dishes and the rocket ships blast off. Only saving grace is the dog is soft mouthed. The quail are quicker than me. The dog is quicker than the quail. In flight. Thing of beauty to see her snatch one in the air. As I yell and cringe.

Ahem. I recommend, strongly, side doors. Coops no deeper than 2 feet unless you use a bait net or have abnormally long arms.

Oh, if you don't have a long handled, tight weave fish/crab net, now is the time to get one. The quail fit through the netting on the bass nets.

I didn’t mark them so that I could watch colors develop
This darkest one is the only Tibetan I have I believe unless the one next to him is a TTux.
Their colors have changed quite a bit.
20191030_180034.jpg
20191030_175206.jpg
20191024_231114.jpg

They should be going outside to their Big Girls & Boys pen tomorrow. Will they need supplemental heat out there until they adjust to the temperature change? They're about 3 weeks give or take a few days.

Will they need supplemental heat out there until they adjust to the temperature change? They're about 3 weeks give or take a few days.
I put my 2 week olds out and it is 50 ish at night. No heat. During the summer, I put the one week olds out at 70 at night with no heat. Cute little buggers huddle in the corner to stay warm.

NOOOO! Don't do the lid lift up opening. Quail flush upwards. The quail tractor I have has lids that open upwards. I bend down to grab water and food dishes and the rocket ships blast off. Only saving grace is the dog is soft mouthed. The quail are quicker than me. The dog is quicker than the quail. In flight. Thing of beauty to see her snatch one in the air. As I yell and cringe.
Ahem. I recommend, strongly, side doors. Coops no deeper than 2 feet unless you use a bait net or have abnormally long arms.
Oh, if you don't have a long handled, tight weave fish/crab net, now is the time to get one. The quail fit through the netting on the bass nets.
Well, piddle-fart! I'll hafta practically lay down on the ground to open a door on the front, that's why I was gonna do on the top. I'll hafta contemplate this some more then, I'm framing the doors tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up. Oh, I do have 2 little beach/crab/shell nets.

I put my 2 week olds out and it is 50 ish at night. No heat. During the summer, I put the one week olds out at 70 at night with no heat. Cute little buggers huddle in the corner to stay warm.
It's been getting down into the 20's & 30's at night here, I thought maybe a bit of heat for at night? Their pen will be well enclosed, shouldn't be drafty, it'll pretty much only be open in the front & top.

Back
Top Bottom