➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I got the new brooder jury rigged. I took an old plastic bin and cut a hole in the lid and duct taped hardware cloth over it.
Very good idea, thank you for sharing!
I'm considering just buying a couple coturnix hens at the feed store instead of going through the trouble of hatching. I saw the feather sexing chart on the first page, is that ever inaccurate? Do hens ever have orange breasts or males white breasts with dark spots?
I am thinking that my budgie flight will be a suitable home for two. It's 60" x 18" floor space (and 36" tall) and I am going to make a box with walls about 9 inches high out of coroplast panels to set the cage in so I can use wood shavings instead of newspapers at the bottom without them going all over the room.
Am I likely to run into issues with the birds flushing and hitting their heads with that height or are they pretty chill?
My newest Coturnix cage is 60cm and they ARE hitting their heads on the roof.
i had several hens get puffy eyes/infections etc around the time of the raccoon attacks.....is there any means of cat,raccoon,etc smacking or clawing at them through the wire?? we originally thought pecking injuries too until the slaughters.
I think so, as the quails cannot see in dark and cannot escape from a wild animal.
There are always a few cages of coturnix at our store, though I haven't looked closely a them before they look like they're adults. Like $2.50 each I believe. I just want a couple pets.
I would also suggest buying from someone from here, but if not ask for at least 3 weeks old chicks, as they are more difficult to recognize before that

This is the cage in question. I am going to make a deep bedding tray out of coroplast and use shavings on the bottom. Papers are getting annoying to change with so many budgies and a few inches of pineshavings could probably go a week versus daily changes with papers.

1101191526.jpg

And my button cage.

1015190804b.jpg

This is the cage in question. I am going to make a deep bedding tray out of coroplast and use shavings on the bottom. Papers are getting annoying to change with so many budgies and a few inches of pineshavings could probably go a week versus daily changes with papers.

View attachment 1956543
And my button cage.

View attachment 1956544

Oh wow that is AWESOME!! :bow:love

I’m jealous haha

What cage is that?

I was gonna get the HQ flight cage or the Prevue or similar from amazon or something but so many of them are more tall than long and I feel like the budgies would prefer the length/width rather than height? But hard to find wider ones like that. Maybe I should just make an aviary haha

Oh wow that is AWESOME!! :bow:love

I’m jealous haha

What cage is that?

I was gonna get the HQ flight cage or the Prevue or similar from amazon or something but so many of them are more tall than long and I feel like the budgies would prefer the length/width rather than height? But hard to find wider ones like that. Maybe I should just make an aviary haha
Go start your chicken coop!

:lau

It’s 10pm here!

But good point. I do need to start that.

I’m not actually going to get budgies anytime soon; I don’t really want indoor birds either. Too loud and messy haha

But they’re just so cute and I would love to have them again. One day. Not now. Need to focus on this hatch and build the coop and brooder. Well, actually, I think I’m gonna use that tank, but still. Need to build the coop/buy the materials first.

And build the fish pond. Though that won’t be till spring but still.

Need to at least buy and set up the new tank.

And expand the current chicken’s run.

So definitely way too much to do to add budgies or any other animals haha

Sure you will also have plenty to add to that list. :lau :oops:

Though I did order stuff to set up a betta tank today. :oops:

I can sympathize with Kelsey. :lau If it weren’t for my DH badgering me I’d probably still have a greenhouse kit, not an almost-done actual greenhouse. It will be winter chalet for over half my birds (that would be mostly the female half). Build your chicken coop, Kelsey. You’ll be super glad when it’s all over. :p

1862C275-BF08-46D1-80A8-5CBF989F9F97.jpeg

084D8AC6-6752-4516-B1A6-F316855F5EA5.jpeg

:wee:ya:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom