āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

it was also a sex-linked defect. Only his male offspring had the same right side "clubed" foot, exactly the same in appearance. None of the hen chicks had any defects.
This is the same that I experienced with a Welsummer rooster but it was both feet and only in the male offspring.

A trimmed down bandaid. Sports wrap that would really need to be trimmed too. The last couple I had corrected themselves by using shavings on uneven ground, I set them in the narrow red feed dish too, that helped hold the little legs together. This big butt turkey isn't splayed but this is the dish I use for my splayed leg quail, it was right as rain after 2 days.View attachment 1988113
I don't like to use shavings for button quail because of how much smaller they are than even Japanese quail. I do have shelving liner down over the paper towels, which provides secure footing without sacrificing stability.

I don't like to use shavings for button quail because of how much smaller they are than even Japanese quail. I do have shelving liner down over the paper towels, which provides secure footing without sacrificing stability.
:heAh, yeah, I wasn't taking into consideration the size of the little buttons when I recommended shavings.
I have the grippy shelf liner as well. But uneven surface is supposed to help with the curled foot problem too. I used the food dish technique last hatch for a splay legged Tibetan.

:barnieI'm totally in distress this evening, I just went out a couple of hours ago.
:rantNow this is what I found!
View attachment 1987922
View attachment 1987921 View attachment 1987924 View attachment 1987923 View attachment 1987920
Even the tips of her wings are bloodied and featherless! What??? Why??? Is it because of my supplemental lighting, or is it just what 5 week old boys do to birds that don't crow in the pen?
:confused:Hormones?
:oldHow can I wait till they're older to process them when this is what they're doing?
At least there is still skin to cover her skull, as long as the wound closes & she doesn't lose that flesh, the skin slides down her neck and is loose above her eyes as well.
:heI'm seriously thinking about processing the whole lot of boys tomorrow (I have some sorted for breeding already)!
:popWhat'd y'all suggest?
Do you know who is the attacker? Is the scalped one fully white or what is this color? You said it is a she..? She will recover.. I've had worst cases, just need to be in warm and I give a lot of boiled rice.. some love it..some don't.

Do you know who is the attacker? Is the scalped one fully white or what is this color? You said it is a she..? She will recover.. I've had worst cases, just need to be in warm and I give a lot of boiled rice.. some love it..some don't.
I didn't see her being attacked, but I did witness one male dragging around on another male in that same pen. I hadn't "sexed" that pen yet, other than knowing there were 2 crowers in there. I checked the injured ones vent, no foam, no "bulge", the others are now obviously boys! She's kinda a blue/gray Tuxedo'ish color.
20191225_194313.jpg

It was a creamy buff colored one (center screen with head down & back turned), I think that injured her.
20191216_231725.jpg

I've had them injured but not where the scalp was completely separated from the skull with an open flap. She's eating & drinking, looks a little better tonight.

@BantyChooks How is splay leg today?
Not good. I couldn't figure out how the heck to bandage it in a way that would help and not hurt. It appears to be another case like Paddles, my last severely splay legged bird, which had malformations to the joints that made splinting practically impossible even if he were a bigger sort.

Back
Top Bottom