➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Uh oh

Big rubber broken egg.
IMG_20200110_085843.jpg
IMG_20200110_090021.jpg

@CoturnixComplex can you help with color? What should this hen be bred with to get same color?

I called those "dilute pharaoh" when I got them in a hatch randomly. No idea what they are genetically, but they came from a grau-fee type hen. They look almost like the "silver pharaoh" types (that you had some of too, Sara) but they're a shade closer to normal pharaohs. I sold mine but I will try and dig up an old photo.

I agree that I would keep a son and breed him back to her. - even if he doesn't appear to be the same color off the bat. If this is the same hen @Matieus27 wants to eliminate the tuxedo patterning from, just be sure to only keep solid-colored offspring to breed back. You will get rid of it eventually.

There is a small chance that it's caused by one of the dilution genes I have a description but no photos of, and some of those are lethal when a chick inherits two copies, so if you're getting low hatch rates or weak chicks from the mother:son pairing that could be an explanation.

I called those "dilute pharaoh" when I got them in a hatch randomly. No idea what they are genetically, but they came from a grau-fee type hen. They look almost like the "silver pharaoh" types (that you had some of too, Sara) but they're a shade closer to normal pharaohs. I sold mine but I will try and dig up an old photo.

I agree that I would keep a son and breed him back to her. - even if he doesn't appear to be the same color off the bat. If this is the same hen @Matieus27 wants to eliminate the tuxedo patterning from, just be sure to only keep solid-colored offspring to breed back. You will get rid of it eventually.

There is a small chance that it's caused by one of the dilution genes I have a description but no photos of, and some of those are lethal when a chick inherits two copies, so if you're getting low hatch rates or weak chicks from the mother:son pairing that could be an explanation.
This is what I was looking for. Thank You!

WAKE UP!!!! Time to get to work building those cages we got a lot of work to do if we are going to get 2020 eggs hatched we need a lot more cages better get building now
I'm doing my share! I have 27 button eggs going into lockdown on Friday, and 62 coturnix going into lockdown on the 21st.
upload_2020-1-11_6-56-29.gif

Now I just have to figure out how to get one of my quail off of the roof...
upload_2020-1-11_6-56-48.gif

Oh boy.
What's the dummies doing up there?
I was feeding them and she somehow managed to flush out of the opening that I was standing in front of, and flew all the way up to the roof of my house. I hope she comes down on her own when it gets light out. I don't have a ladder.

Edit: It's the pretty dark red one that you want.

Back
Top Bottom