➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

You people make me feel like the sanest one in the room.
:lau :lau :lau

You are crazy if you think you are sane.

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Anybody of good pics of a multi-pen quail setup? I'm thinking of putting the quail in a shaded spot this summer next to our sun room where there's just an large floor bed surrounded by retaining blocks. It's generally out of sight as it's on the opposite site of the sun room than our patio. I try to keep my generations separated though, so one big pen wouldn't do. I was thinking of building a divided pen with three sections. It would be low height (up to the sunroom's window ledge which is ~1.5') and right on the ground so they can be on dirt and forage. They whole thing would be roughly 12' long and 2.5' wide (as deep as I can reach probably), so I could have three 4'x2.5' sections. I would need to have top access, which I fear makes escaping easier but I'm sure I could work with it.

Anybody ever see anything like this? Looking for some inspiration.

Anybody of good pics of a multi-pen quail setup? I'm thinking of putting the quail in a shaded spot this summer next to our sun room where there's just an large floor bed surrounded by retaining blocks. It's generally out of sight as it's on the opposite site of the sun room than our patio. I try to keep my generations separated though, so one big pen wouldn't do. I was thinking of building a divided pen with three sections. It would be low height (up to the sunroom's window ledge which is ~1.5') and right on the ground so they can be on dirt and forage. They whole thing would be roughly 12' long and 2.5' wide (as deep as I can reach probably), so I could have three 4'x2.5' sections. I would need to have top access, which I fear makes escaping easier but I'm sure I could work with it.

I have not, but from your description I’m seeing something like a cold frame—shed roof, segmented into three hinged sections, maybe a separate small access door in each section.

Last edited:

These are some of my builds... there are 3 pens in each setup, each at least 6 sq ft. some are 8 sq ft. Might give you some ideas.
My builds are always improvised along the way with whatever materials I have, some new some scraps etc.... I need more staples...
My bobs are getting their own covey pen for spring, it isn't finished. I only have 2 hens so I just hafta figure out which of the boys they choose as mates and process the rest or turn them loose.....
20191123_223205.jpg
20191102_152444.jpg
20191123_223222.jpg
20191123_223231.jpg
20191101_165126.jpg
20191102_173837.jpg
20191104_173957.jpg
20191118_181659.jpg
20191118_181747.jpg
20191101_171207.jpg
20191030_152105.jpg
20191118_181640.jpg
20200113_160836.jpg
20191221_114239.jpg
20191229_130519.jpg
20191229_132807.jpg

Sorry @Kiki for filling up the page with pens ;) I need to figure out how to put these all into an album.

8' coop (2).JPG

This is my 8'x2' coop. I can put divider walls in it, or make another, to have 4 - 2'x2' sections with 4 doors. If no floor, can put this on the ground and hinge the lids so you don't have to lay on your belly to see into.

1.5' tall sounds concerning for access. You sure you want it that short?
Separate lids. I have a 5'x5' chicken tractor that is 2' tall and while I was grabbing one quail on the left, one on the right would go airborne. Too much door for quail. I have plans to drape it to prevent fly aways. Next time.

Is this spot covered or how will you protect from rain, mud and predators?

:lau :lau :lau

You are crazy if you think you are sane.

“But I don’t want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you can’t help that," said the Cat: "we’re all mad here. I’m mad. You’re mad."
"How do you know I’m mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn’t have come here.”
― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Nonsense. I am merely a spectator of all you madmen.

You're obviously still early in your steps to recovery, because you're definitely still in the "denial" stage!!!
Hey. I'm pretty sure I hatched out less than 40 chicks total last year. I'd call that "sane!"

Back
Top Bottom