➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Ahhh okay that makes sense. Glad she finally got one haha
I suspect that we are talking about two different people. The one from the Sin Bin thread is the one who didn't have an incubator.

The one from the Boobcubator started her new method because she was having poor hatches with her incubator.

I suspect that we are talking about two different people. The one from the Sin Bin thread is the one who didn't have an incubator.

The one from the Boobcubator started her new method because she was having poor hatches with her incubator.
Oh okay I wasn’t sure because I thought in the video she said at first she didn’t have an incubator so started this way but maybe I got it wrong hahah

I’ve thought about that too although I’m a little worried about them flopping everywhere. 😂🤣🙈

Although I honestly like the broom thing. It was super fast and easy and a lot less personal than starting them down while you do it 😂🙈
I hold them secure until they stop flapping and spasm'ing... but that's just me & my preference. I can control where they bleed that way, instead of it everywhere.

I hold them secure until they stop flapping and spasm'ing... but that's just me & my preference. I can control where they bleed that way, instead of it everywhere.
That’s a good idea!! I might do that next time.

Although I just looked at a bunch of hatcheries and most are sold out of like everything :th

I ordered some and the next ship date is like July 7th....
It’s crazy!!! I saw lots of July and even August and a few like June or late May but so crazy. The soonest meatbirds were like mid August unless I got like 25 :th

Some other hatcheries had May I think but lots of small order charge, etc. making it expensive.

Maybe I could see if the feed stores have a few haha

When I was a kid, we did multiple chickens at a time. I kept a bucket handy and jammed the headless bodies into the bucket to keep them from running and flopping around.

Putting them in the appropriate sized cone would work the best with any of the decapitation methods.

My method is to use one hand to stretch the wings back one at a time and secure them with the other hand that is holding the legs. Hold the chicken above the chopping block while laying its head on the chopping block. Try to get it to hook its beak on the edge of the chopping block and gently stretch the neck out before swiinging the hatchet. A good sharp machete or cleaver will work fine as the hatchet replacement. Hold on tight and remove the head with one hatchet chop, Hold the headless body out away from your body while it bleeds out (less than 2 minutes). Once the body goes limp, I head straight to the scalding pot which for a chicken is a 5 gallon bucket holding approximately 4 gallons of 160°F water.

Before starting make sure you are wearing the appropriate clothing and shoes that you will not mind getting blood on.
I have helped process 100 meat birds(chickens) in under 2 hours, we had a pretty good production line going

It’s crazy!!! I saw lots of July and even August and a few like June or late May but so crazy. The soonest meatbirds were like mid August unless I got like 25 :th

Some other hatcheries had May I think but lots of small order charge, etc. making it expensive.

Maybe I could see if the feed stores have a few haha
The proper way to check with the feed stores is to talk to the person in charge of the chicks. Learn what day of the week and what time of the day that they normally get their shipments in. Be there on time as chicks are selling out fast.

The proper way to check with the feed stores is to talk to the person in charge of the chicks. Learn what day of the week and what time of the day that they normally get their shipments in. Be there on time as chicks are selling out fast.
That’s a good idea!! Thanks!! Our local store lists the dates for various breeds on their website but TSC doesn’t do that. Also the local store is literally sold out of everything except meat birds, polish, and turkeys and guineas. :th

They normally never sell out in advance and always have chicks in the store.

Probably a combination of this Corona virus scare and them only doing pick up orders now requiring people to order in advance.

Back
Top Bottom