āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

@007Sean someone mentioned an ā€œold wives taleā€ to me today that ringnecks wont brood their eggs this far south?? any truth to that???
I'm way south of you and I've had a few that did...hatched and brooded. ;)
There just not very good at it! They have lost their instinct due to confinement in aviaries/enclosures. If you have an ideal setup they will raise their own but the enclosure needs to be large and have plenty of pheasant furniture.
In the 50+ years of raising them, I've had maybe 10 hens that have had enough of their 'wild' instincts left to hatch and brood their own. So while rare, it is possible.

I'm 'old school', I use these:
antique mercury thermometers.jpg

Antique mercury thermometers

Most of my ducks are in the brooder but they don't seem to care about their water. They're goofy, cute, playing around, eating their crumbles. I dip their little bills in and they drink, but I don't see any of them going to it on their own. What's up with that???
I donā€™t know why youā€™re forcing them to drink. :confused: They are babies, and donā€™t want water yet. If they do, they will drink.

Most of my ducks are in the brooder but they don't seem to care about their water. They're goofy, cute, playing around, eating their crumbles. I dip their little bills in and they drink, but I don't see any of them going to it on their own. What's up with that???
Mine don't drink until day 2 or 3

Actually the 4th egg might hatch. I saw movement so I'll let it sit. These quail are so darn cute.

Heading to the store to get some fake plants and some stuff for the garden. I also need a storage bin for the chicks brooder because the Deathlayers are hatching soon.

The quail are doing good eating, drinking, and pooping.

Back
Top Bottom