➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

So unfortunately humidity crashed again last night to 40% and one of the ones who started zipping dried out before I was aware of it. Everyone else seems okay, but I'm fairly confidant I did lose one. The membrane was incredibly hard and I was finally able to uncover the beak and I haven't heard or seen any movement from that one 😔

One of our second hand incubators was hot to the touch compared to my other incubators the same which I bought new, this was the first time using this second hand one.

It had 6 peafowl eggs in and out of the 6, two were infertile but 4 started growing. After a few days though, 3 of the 4 growing turned black and died.

Only the one is good now.

I bought a thermometer that goes with the incubator just to check it ( which arrived today) and all I can say is that’s been one lucky egg to survive these temps all the way through incubation!

I had a feeling it was high as the incubator and eggs were pretty hot to the touch but not this high!

It’s due on Sunday but I’m expecting it to make an appearance earlier 🤭

7644B8C2-6DB1-4CB7-B83A-A1BB20F1883F.jpeg

Okay awesome. I'll hurry up and finish adding shavings to the brooder when I get home and move any hatched ones to the brooder. Should I offer food and water right away or wait until tomorrow morning? The first hatched around noon so they still have some yolk energy

Also anything special I should have in the brooder that's specific to quail? This is my first time brooding and I know it's normal to lose one or two the first time but I paid a lot for the eggs and want to raise as many as I can
Ewe...Can you just use paper towels instead of shavings for the first few days?

One of our second hand incubators was hot to the touch compared to my other incubators the same which I bought new, this was the first time using this second hand one.

It had 6 peafowl eggs in and out of the 6, two were infertile but 4 started growing. After a few days though, 3 of the 4 growing turned black and died.

Only the one is good now.

I bought a thermometer that goes with the incubator just to check it ( which arrived today) and all I can say is that’s been one lucky egg to survive these temps all the way through incubation!

I had a feeling it was high as the incubator and eggs were pretty hot to the touch but not this high!

It’s due on Sunday but I’m expecting it to make an appearance earlier 🤭

View attachment 2188573
You don't keep multiple calibrated thermometers in your incubators?

QB#16 at 46 chicks, 2 zipping & 3 nothing.
55 eggs set
3 clears pulled
1 quitter

1 day left

Lots of littles!
Final count. 46 chicks hatched. 1 died in the brooder = failure to thrive.

45/52 = 86% hatch rate. I'm happy.

One is a little runt. I'm concerned about that one. Needs to eat more and catch up. Moved them to a bigger box with wood chips. 45 little poops make a big smell.

Back
Top Bottom