āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Ironically neither of the hens I lost died from scalping.

So I helped the malpositioned egg hatch. He had his head down between his legs like a yoga pose. I'm a bit worried though because his little tummy looked like he had an air bubble moving under the skin. Is that normal sounding or did I actually help too early? His veins were almost all gone

I have horrible scalping problems. Even between hens. My boy in there is so sweet, and I had three hens get scalped in 2 days. One actually lost an eye and two went past their skin.
Do you think it is genetic?
How much room do they have? And hides or just an empty cage? Multiple feeders and waterers available?
Should we try to diagnose a cause and propose a solution or have you been through all the searches? Willing to help, but won't insult you.

Quail keeping is supposed to be fun. If the birds are causing stress, it's no fun.

Do you think it is genetic?
How much room do they have? And hides or just an empty cage? Multiple feeders and waterers available?
Should we try to diagnose a cause and propose a solution or have you been through all the searches? Willing to help, but won't insult you.

Quail keeping is supposed to be fun. If the birds are causing stress, it's no fun.

The breeders I got them from house 3.5 birds per sq. Foot. I had 7 birds in 6 sq. Feet. I now have 6, and there are still problems. Even my batchlor pad is more peaceful now.

They always cull aggressive birds to avoid genetic aggressiveness. They used to have hides and it didn't ever lessen it. They have a big water bowl and 2 decent sized feed bowls all spread out.

I've been looking through the forums and YouTube for any other ideas but mostly it's just been male's overbreeding and I know my boy isn't the cause

The breeders I got them from house 3.5 birds per sq. Foot. I had 7 birds in 6 sq. Feet. I now have 6, and there are still problems. Even my batchlor pad is more peaceful now.

They always cull aggressive birds to avoid genetic aggressiveness. They used to have hides and it didn't ever lessen it. They have a big water bowl and 2 decent sized feed bowls all spread out.

I've been looking through the forums and YouTube for any other ideas but mostly it's just been male's overbreeding and I know my boy isn't the cause
Suggestion. Watch them and see which one is being aggressive and that one should be pulled. From what I've heard, it may be one bad egg. Boy or girl. Once the culprit is identified, cull.

Are these pets or livestock? Cull can mean rehome or eat. Your choice.

If you are able, move them. Clean or rearrange their coop. No clue what could be triggering. 7 birds in 6 square feet isn't crowded. You may just have an aggressive bird. If the breeder says they cull aggressive ones, sounds like they will pop up occasionally. Not the genetic lottery you want to win.

Sounds like you are on top of it. Best wishes.

I have found that hard plastic storage bins from Dollar Tree are great for hideout and milk crates. DH cut out holes in the plastic storage bins and they absolutely love them. I have a storage bin too 18 gallon that has a hole in it that a lot of them like to go in. '

Fake plants are great too. I just stick them straight into the ground.

I have found that hard plastic storage bins from Dollar Tree are great for hideout and milk crates. DH cut out holes in the plastic storage bins and they absolutely love them. I have a storage bin too 18 gallon that has a hole in it that a lot of them like to go in. '

Fake plants are great too. I just stick them straight into the ground.
My dollar store like doesnā€™t have any bins!! :th :barnie

Back
Top Bottom