➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Oh wow that is really weird!! Maybe they weren’t being turned properly? Sounds like the chick maybe got stuck on one side? I know I had that problem with my turner when I hatched my first batch. I thought it was turning and theoretically it was (nothing was broken) but it wasn’t turning them enough.
That’s why I won’t use those side turners. I like my upright turner. Your turner convinced me to never get one like that 😂

The eggs are in an upright turner (a cradle one) so all the eggs are definitely getting turned equally). I’m really not sure what’s happened with that chick. All I know when I cracked it there was an awful lot of yolk in the egg with it (which was what I was seeing when candling).

Very strange indeed. If I thought it was alive I certainly wouldn’t have cracked it but I suppose these things happen. If I get another egg like that I’ll be leaving it in!

Not all chick starters will work, most don’t, but that particular one happens to also be for quail and other species too :)
Just because a certain unethical company labels their product as being for quail and other species does not mean that it actually is appropriate for the species that they claim. I would not feed Dumor to anything.

i cleaned the “bunny barn” coop out last night and moved the older cornish X chicks out.....I cleaned the shed brooder for the ducklings and chicks and I cleaned the living room brooder. DH took the ducklings to the koi pond and they were a hoot! the pekins actually dove to the bottom of the pond so he couldn’t get them out!! big difference from quick and quack that hated water until they were grown! One successful melanistic hatch yesterday....a second has been zipped since yesterday afternoon but has not hatched.....I have resisted “helping” because I will not risk the others like last time. i’m having a hard time getting the humidity above 50%......i changed the battery in the hygrometer and there’s plenty of water in there but membrane on zipper still looks dry. @007Sean ......the first mellie hatched from one of the brown eggs ......i will post a pic as soon as it’s out for gender confirmation

Just because a certain unethical company labels their product as being for quail and other species does not mean that it actually is appropriate for the species that they claim. I would not feed Dumor to anything.
Mine seem to be thriving on it :confused:

I was going to order gamebird feed online but then someone told me about that one and I thought it would be easier. If it’s truly bad though I can switch but it’s 24% protein and I think it’s aimed more towards game chicks than chicken chicks? Cause it mentions turkeys and chukar and stuff too and doesn’t mention chickens or at least barely.

I normally don’t trust Dumor either but my store doesn’t carry gamebird feed so it was either that or Flockraiser unless I ordered online. Although the other feed store may have something. 🤔

I should probably look elsewhere though but isn’t it illegal to say it’s for a certain species if it’s not???

Mine seem to be thriving on it :confused:

I was going to order gamebird feed online but then someone told me about that one and I thought it would be easier. If it’s truly bad though I can switch but it’s 24% protein and I think it’s aimed more towards game chicks than chicken chicks? Cause it mentions turkeys and chukar and stuff too and doesn’t mention chickens or at least barely.

I normally don’t trust Dumor either but my store doesn’t carry gamebird feed so it was either that or Flockraiser unless I ordered online. Although the other feed store may have something. 🤔

I should probably look elsewhere though but isn’t it illegal to say it’s for a certain species if it’s not???
It isn't all about the protein content. It is also about the lysine, methionine and niacin contents. It does fall into the requirements for a grower but is not appropriate as a starter. They also sell a 20% chick starter that they claim is appropriate for game birds, and poults but it doesn't meet any of the required levels that are needed. The USDA lets these companies get away with misrepresenting things. If these products were for people, these companies would never get away with mislabeling products.

It isn't all about the protein content. It is also about the lysine, methionine and niacin contents. It does fall into the requirements for a grower but is not appropriate as a starter. They also sell a 20% chick starter that they claim is appropriate for game birds, and poults but it doesn't meet any of the required levels that are needed. The USDA lets these companies get away with misrepresenting things. If these products were for people, these companies would never get away with mislabeling products.
Thank you for the info!! I really didn’t know that and now I feel bad if I’m accidentally hurting them or something. :( although now I’m confused because they seem to be doing well and growing, feathering, etc. fast? Maybe they wouldn’t necessarily show symptoms??

I can’t believe they’re allowed to do that. :( but then again I know it happens a lot with pet food too or they just spontaneously change the ingredients without telling anyone. No way that would be allowed in people food I don’t think?

So if this feed isn’t appropriate, what feed would be? Genuinely asking there so I know. Should I order some?? Or is it too late since they are already two weeks old (Well, most are, some are only a week and a half)???

I still have probably 1 3/4 or 1 1/2 bags of the stuff left (actually just bought the new one yesterday along with Flockraiser for the chickens) so this is disappointing as I hate to waste it. :(

But also don’t want to hurt them. :confused:

Back
Top Bottom