āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Five out now! More hatching. One egg seems to be leaking a sort of gross fluid that is very concerning. I donā€™t want to mess with it this early in the hatch so Iā€™ll leave it for now. Hereā€™s some fluffy chick pics from the three that have made it to the brooder!
View attachment 2207109

View attachment 2207110I had to cull a few from the last batch. Better to not let them suffer.
If there's an egg leaking, please pull it out ASAP. It's probably rotten and you don't want that getting on the other eggs or the hatchlings.

OK how hard is it to hatch quail in an incubator? I was thinking of leaving the eggs with the female and seeing if she can manage to hatch them the natural way. I just don't know if doing that will stop egg production or if she will keep laying or how any of it works. I know my Guinea hens laid about 40 before they just went broody and lay on them. I just don't know how it all works with them.

OK how hard is it to hatch quail in an incubator? I was thinking of leaving the eggs with the female and seeing if she can manage to hatch them the natural way. I just don't know if doing that will stop egg production or if she will keep laying or how any of it works. I know my Guinea hens laid about 40 before they just went broody and lay on them. I just don't know how it all works with them.
Coturnix quail rarely go broody, so you almost always have to hatch in an incubator. As long as you make sure that temperature and humidity are right and steady, and the eggs get turned regularly, it's not hard. The hard part is keeping temp and humidity right and steady. Use multiple tested thermometers and a salt tested hygrometer. Do not trust the incubator temp and humidity readings.

I haven't had a broody hen till now, to state first!

But for what I read till now, it is super rare, that Coturnix Quails brood till the end, even if they start sitting on the eggs.

And these reports, which had success, had poor hatch rates.
Also I read, that often the hen finally do not accept the chicks, after hatching.

But again, just third party reports!

I haven't had a broody hen till now, to state first!

But for what I read till now, it is super rare, that Coturnix Quails brood till the end, even if they start sitting on the eggs.

And these reports, which had success, had poor hatch rates.
Also I read, that often the hen finally do not accept the chicks, after hatching.

But again, just third party reports!
OK. I'm not looking to risk it with hoping the female is broody. I have an incubator but will need an egg turner for them. Any suggestions of what kind and from where. I would prefer not to have to wait on one coming from china and it not being here till september.:rant

@CindyinSD Quilliam is in my Pigeons aviary full time, it's covered and water proof along 5/6 of the top, and he has 3 different hides, some plants and other objects for shelter. He's perfectly healthy just trying to convince me to put him back in the loft itself šŸ¤¦ he did surprisingly well in the all day thunderstorm yesterday though.
IMG_20200622_154329469.jpg

@Nabiki the baby passed on last night, but for future reference what is the best way to cull a baby quail?šŸ˜­ He was definitely in pain, if I knew a human way of culling him I probably would've done it.
Not an easy decision.:hugs

Cervical dislocation is quick. Scissor to the neck an alternative. Both are fast and sure.

We don't like giving up hope. It's what makes us human. Be strong.

OK. I'm not looking to risk it with hoping the female is broody. I have an incubator but will need an egg turner for them. Any suggestions of what kind and from where. I would prefer not to have to wait on one coming from china and it not being here till september.:rant
What brand of incubator do you have? I suggest getting the turner that was designed for your incubator. Otherwise, anyone that will fit.

This can be as simple at putting the eggs in a carton and alternating elevating or putting a block under each end three times a day for turning. Whole lot easier and quicker than hand turning each one.

There is hand turning but that takes a bit of time and should be done three times a day. I will hand turn twice a day for a week and then pull clears out of the turner and fill the slots. Unfortunately, I usually have more spots than hand turned eggs. This is a good thing.

@Nabiki the baby passed on last night, but for future reference what is the best way to cull a baby quail?šŸ˜­ He was definitely in pain, if I knew a human way of culling him I probably would've done it.
I'm sorry for your loss. I have culled chicks with sharp shears for a fast, clean decapitation. I'm not sure about doing the cervical dislocation that @RUNuts suggested, so that's how I do it.

Back
Top Bottom