➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Anyone know how to make a quail shelter at night? Quilliam is still sleeping in the open in between the aviary door and pigeon loft, theres 3 water proof hides, a couple potted plants, and 4x4 covered area due to the pigeon loft! He sleeps in the flat clear entry way, no plants, under no cover, not even against the fencing. I'm afraid he's gonna get swallows by a snake or eaten by a hungry rat if he sleeps in the open, or get drenched from rain and catch chill ☹ right now I slip him under a bucket every night to be sure but I'd like to not have to 🤷 he's been in the loft for a week or more now I believe, how do I fix this behavior?
Sorry, but quail sleep where they want. Just make sure they have shelter available and that their enclosure is predator proof.

Blegh ok then 😅 but ....are they smart enough to avoid drowning? We may get 4 inches per hr tonight although who knows how many hrs that is! But there was already 1/2 inch leading about 2 ft from the aviary. Brought Quil inside just in case. Think the thunder scared him, he's wanting to snuggle under me and making needy baby noises at 6+ weeks 🤷(he's yet to start crowing either but definitely male) I didn't trust the cat whith him sleeping in my shirt, although she wouldn't purposefully hurt him she would possibly bat at him and lick him🤦 so he went in a soft crate.

12 of my 28 chicks are definitely male. I put the rest outside with a heating plate. Hopefully I am right about their speckles and I got 12 hens from the shipped eggs :fl. Sadly, my 4 chicks are not feather sexable.

Attachments

• IMG_20200625_105249.jpg
    IMG_20200625_105249.jpg
    833.6 KB · Views: 18
Blegh ok then 😅 but ....are they smart enough to avoid drowning? We may get 4 inches per hr tonight although who knows how many hrs that is! But there was already 1/2 inch leading about 2 ft from the aviary. Brought Quil inside just in case. Think the thunder scared him, he's wanting to snuggle under me and making needy baby noises at 6+ weeks 🤷(he's yet to start crowing either but definitely male) I didn't trust the cat whith him sleeping in my shirt, although she wouldn't purposefully hurt him she would possibly bat at him and lick him🤦 so he went in a soft crate.
Some are, some aren't. I'd probably shoo him into the shelter and lock him in for a big storm like that.

Considering I've lost 2 hens to repeatedly jumping and slamming into the roof, I would go with a no, they might sleep through it

Back
Top Bottom