āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Swapped Quilliam for the chicks, so babies are in the house for now and Quilliams in the loft Which will not be flooded. Also do male or female quail grow faster? Quilliams feathers came in pretty fast but he still has no tailšŸ˜… where as Beezer the oldest chick has only wing feathers and tail feathers so far? Could this determine gender or no? Beezer is the chick to the far right whith white wing feathers coming in.
IMG_20200625_111047460.jpg

Swapped Quilliam for the chicks, so babies are in the house for now and Quilliams in the loft Which will not be flooded. Also do male or female quail grow faster? Quilliams feathers came in pretty fast but he still has no tailšŸ˜… where as Beezer the oldest chick has only wing feathers and tail feathers so far? Could this determine gender or no? Beezer is the chick to the far right whith white wing feathers coming in.
View attachment 2211905
They usually grow at about the same rate, but males are often smaller. There really isn't a good way to tell gender before 3 weeks of age at the earliest. I'm practicing vent sexing, but I'm not very good at it yet.

So ... lock-down day ...
84 shipped eggs, 26 HG eggs.

90 of 110 developed. 6 unfertilized 12 early quitter and 2 late quitter.

Edit: temp at 37.8Ā°C, humidity 48% at hatch, 65% at lock-down.

3 'bators in action, to devide exebition birds, Celadon Splitters and color mix šŸ™ˆ
20200625_215956.jpg

20200625_220006.jpg

Now, crossing fingers :fl

First time hatcher! Set some coturnix and bobwhites in the incubator on the 11th and my 3 coturnix eggs are on lockdown! They are wiggling so I hope pipping starts soon. Temps have been all over the place so I hope for healthy babies :fl
UPDATE: One has internally pipped! I hear tapping! The second one looks about ready to internally pip as well and the last one has a bit more developing to do :clap

First time hatcher! Set some coturnix and bobwhites in the incubator on the 11th and my 3 coturnix eggs are on lockdown! They are wiggling so I hope pipping starts soon. Temps have been all over the place so I hope for healthy babies :fl
UPDATE: One has internally pipped! I hear tapping! The second one looks about ready to internally pip as well and the last one has a bit more developing to do :clap
UPDATE #2: Very small external pip and peeping out of the first egg! It's been a long waiting game so far. 2nd egg has now internally pipped, possibly made a hairline external pip but not sure yet. I'm guessing the 3rd will be on its way soon. All 3 are still rocking :pop

Hey quail friends, are any of you the writing type? We just added a new section to the Learning Center here about processing birds, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in writing up an article (with pictures!) about how to process quail for the new section.

There's a chance we may also host a new article contest to help get new articles too, so you might be able to enter it in said contest and possibly win a prize.

Hey quail friends, are any of you the writing type? We just added a new section to the Learning Center here about processing birds, and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in writing up an article (with pictures!) about how to process quail for the new section.

There's a chance we may also host a new article contest to help get new articles too, so you might be able to enter it in said contest and possibly win a prize.
I'm a member of a writing group and I've written... a lot of documentation during my career. I'm planning on processing some birds this weekend, so let me see what I can come up with.

Back
Top Bottom