āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

@Nabiki yeah I'll post them tommorrow, put the hawks can't get into the loft Quilliam just stuck his head out through the fence is the issue :( I'll put bricks around perimeter and try to get some mesh wiring to blck off the lower few feet of aviary, put there's been broad winged and Coopers attempts on the loft and all have failed miserably getting in, unfortunately I didn't consider my own birds getting their tiny heads through the fence themselves ā˜¹ļø

@Nabiki yeah I'll post them tommorrow, put the hawks can't get into the loft Quilliam just stuck his head out through the fence is the issue :( I'll put bricks around perimeter and try to get some mesh wiring to blck off the lower few feet of aviary, put there's been broad winged and Coopers attempts on the loft and all have failed miserably getting in, unfortunately I didn't consider my own birds getting their tiny heads through the fence themselves ā˜¹
I've had a cooper's hawk hanging around my birds. I bought a life sized plastic owl and I move it around the yard every day or two. It seems to have scared the hawk away.

I may try that, we actually have a ton of owls around but I'm afraid if I put up a nest box they'd go for our small dogs later on. We have a set of young jays in our yard which is probably why they actually showed up, it appears to be this pairs favorite meal, I suspect they were just waiting for the jays and then spotted Quilliam and took up a chance to get easy food.

So, ... I cleaned the brooders (three this time šŸ™ˆ) and took the chance to shoot some pics ... and document the colors.

Group 1 (43 chicks - exebition birds)
20200630_105137.jpg

Brooder 2 (28 chicks - Mix)
20200630_095803.jpg

Brooder 3 (13 chicks - Celadon Splitter HG)
20200630_102146.jpg

A bit disapointed, as there are much to many Pharaohs. Of course it is impossible to avoid off-colors, but the ratio is terrible šŸ¤¬

I am quite staggered, because last time, I hatched from the same breeder it was a 100% percision landing on colors :confused:

Wow, just wow...
I am trying to find a Silver in there, but I can't :(. Maybe there is one on the third picture on the far left? So many Pharaos and I think I saw some Falb Fee! I am so sorry this happened to you too!

The third pic are my home grown hatching eggs šŸ™ˆ ... Silver Celadon roo with Roux-Dilute hens...

Yes ... three Falb Fees are in pic one, from 11 eggs gone to lock-down.

Pharaohs were 7 on lock-down... received in that batch 23 :barnie (made 3 batches this time... 1 exebition birds - 2 various colors - 3 Celadon Splitter)

Also batch 2 ... there should be max. 4 possible Pharaohs from my HG eggs (4 from a Falb roo with a Italian hen) ... got 12 there šŸ¤®

I guess there are two Silver-Wild... better called Blue-Wildpattern. But I am not sure.
I try to take a compare pic later.

As I said, last time 100% percision landing... now total mess :hit

But I have to admit, brilliant hatch rate for shipped eggs... one plus.

Freezer will be happy :oops:

I feel you...
I am stuck with 8 Pharao hens + 1 Falb Fee hen instead of Cinnamon. I am probably going to keep them all if they get along with the rest. The 15 roosters in the basement will make a decent meal :p.

Good news is, the little runt is doing so much better today and is finally outside again, hobbling around. I am going to keep this one too for the neighborhood kids, they love tame quail.

Back
Top Bottom