➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Just layed by my new hen 😍
20200815_164415.jpg

Still a little bit shy, but she is a beauty 🥰
20200815_165047.jpg

(The box is a transport-box)

I made a mistake :(

When I was working on the quail pen I had popped into the garage and found a loose quail. I didn't even really look at it, I just assumed it was one of the males, because the top on their pen isn't super secure and sometimes they get out. So into the male pen it went.

I was just out there and noticed that my juvenile hen pen was wide open somehow, like the door opened on its own. Most of them stayed in - one was missing.

So I tossed a single hen into a pen of all males. Yeah, they tore her head open :( I cleaned her up and put some Neosporin on her but it's a nasty wound and I feel terrible.
I've done that. I sexed a hen as a roo because she was a wild type pattern but had a bunch of orange lower on her chest and barely any speckles on upper chest so tossed into the bachelor pen. They were really beating up on her but I thought it was just aggression because they were all beating up on each other, so put her in a solitary cage to heal up and applied vetricyn. Then found an egg in her cage within a week. I felt so bad but she healed up ok. Didn't use her for breeding though because I worried her color would come through on the chicks and make them more difficult to sex.

@Fenrisulfr I forgot to tell you, the consensus I got after sharing pictures of your birds was that the two hens must be Roux Fee, and that's why you got all Falb Fee chicks.

Also, I can't find Roux hatching eggs anywhere. Anyone got a lead? Myshire is sold out (they call it Egyptian) and I can't seem to find them anywhere else.

I might have some recessive white in my lavenders. Two of the chicks hatched very yellow. Lavender is a pretty light color anyway, so maybe not, but these guys are yellow as can be.

We'll see as they feather out :) If they are recessive white, I'll probably pull them into their own pen, then try to figure out which cock and hen(s) are carrying it in my breeding group of Lavs and sell them.

Back
Top Bottom