āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Just did the first candling on the Egyptian eggs. Sadly, I had to pull 15 as clears, and three more are very likely clears but I left them just in case.

Strangely, two of the eggs I pulled were actually rotting and smelled. I wasn't going to candle this early until I caught a whiff of the incubator and knew something wasn't right. It's really weird, I have never had an egg start to rot that quickly before. And it wasn't just one, but two of them. They're only on day four. Something weird happening there. I'm tempted to carefully crack them open in ziploc bags.

Of the rest that I pulled, 11 were clears and never started to develop at all, and two were blood rings.

So that brings me to 42 eggs.

Strangely, two of the eggs I pulled were actually rotting and smelled. I wasn't going to candle this early until I caught a whiff of the incubator and knew something wasn't right. It's really weird, I have never had an egg start to rot that quickly before. And it wasn't just one, but two of them. They're only on day four. Something weird happening there. I'm tempted to carefully crack them open in ziploc bags.
What source are your eggs from? I'd suspect older or contaminated eggs. They shouldn't be rotting after 4 days unless there is something seriously wrong.

Good smeller. Glad you caught it before an explosion.

Well, hm. I guess it's still too hot in there. I have two thermometers in there, but both on the ends since I can only read them if they're outside the turner. After lockdown, I put another one in the middle since the turner was out, and it read higher. I guess I'll bring the whole thing down a little more then.
if itā€™s only a couple, it could be a hot spot vs whole incubator too warm but i would definitely double check temps

Myshire Farm is where they came from.
was there a shipping problem/delay? while these things do happen to everyone sometimes with myshire eggs it is typically attributable to USPS handling to some areas. In all the eggs iā€™ve received (well over 500 now) iā€™ve never had a rotten one and typically no more than a few clears relative to size of order. but some have taken major detours in shipping

was there a shipping problem/delay? while these things do happen to everyone sometimes with myshire eggs it is typically attributable to USPS handling to some areas. In all the eggs iā€™ve received (well over 500 now) iā€™ve never had a rotten one and typically no more than a few clears relative to size of order. but some have taken major detours in shipping

So, the whole story is, I had ordered the eggs a while back, maybe a week or two prior to the incubator issue. Then, it came about that I wasn't going to have room for the eggs in my incubators for about three weeks because my overflow incubator (a cheapo thing) died. I sent them an email asking to cancel the eggs for that reason. Didn't get a reply. Two days later, they marked my order as fulfilled and created a tracking number. They then actually shipped the eggs the next day. The eggs arrived in two days, which is faster than most eggs get here, so nope, no delay in shipping.

All the remaining eggs' air cells look good, no damage, no cracked eggs, etc. So it doesn't look like they had a particularly rough ride. I did have all those clears though, which could be caused be rough handling. But even if they did go through rough handling, I can't think of anything the post office could have done to them that would cause two eggs to rot in less than four full days of incubation, while the rest of the eggs are okay. It's very weird. Unfortunately I didn't candle them before setting them.

No harm really done though, I got to the rotten eggs before they exploded, and still have 42 eggs going. I paid for 50, so if they all hatch, that's still not bad for shipped eggs.

So, the whole story is, I had ordered the eggs a while back, maybe a week or two prior to the incubator issue. Then, it came about that I wasn't going to have room for the eggs in my incubators for about three weeks because my overflow incubator (a cheapo thing) died. I sent them an email asking to cancel the eggs for that reason. Didn't get a reply. Two days later, they marked my order as fulfilled and created a tracking number. They then actually shipped the eggs the next day. The eggs arrived in two days, which is faster than most eggs get here, so nope, no delay in shipping.

All the remaining eggs' air cells look good, no damage, no cracked eggs, etc. So it doesn't look like they had a particularly rough ride. I did have all those clears though, which could be caused be rough handling. But even if they did go through rough handling, I can't think of anything the post office could have done to them that would cause two eggs to rot in less than four full days of incubation, while the rest of the eggs are okay. It's very weird. Unfortunately I didn't candle them before setting them.

No harm really done though, I got to the rotten eggs before they exploded, and still have 42 eggs going. I paid for 50, so if they all hatch, that's still not bad for shipped eggs.
that sounds much better than i imagined!! mine arrived last night and i accidentally cracked one in setting.....the large turners for the brinsea are a bit tricky with jumbo eggs. i accidentally mixed some of them up with my 8 homegrown that are due to hatch way earlier so hopefully i can sort them back out at lockdown time. i had to move all 3 pheasant eggs over to the other incubator as they definitely would not fit in the divided turner šŸ¤£ but while itā€™s rated for 66 quail eggs, i managed to squeeze all 68 in until i can candle for clears!!!

Back
Top Bottom