➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

i stole this picture from FB for you guys! “When you let your 8 y.o. help process” 🤣🤣🤣
3C5F2852-2CCB-46E0-A025-BD73C650CC6C.jpeg

Same here 🤣
Need to clean the brooders everyday 🙈
I clean it every day, I put new chips over the old at night, so they go to bed on a clean layer, then I change it the next day, new layer at night etc. plus I got them all swapped to a nipple waterer, which helps keep everything dry and less smelly, but whoo, they can’t get out fast enough lol

I need some help with one of my hatchlings. He was born with curled toes on both feet and the left foot turned inward. I booted both feet and he decided to just flop his foot back and walk on (I'm going to use a human arm for comparative anatomy since I can't find what this is called) his "wrist". So, I went and taped that straight, thinking he'd bend at the "elbow" and kinda just scoot along, but instead he just throws the whole leg behind him and flails about. I take him out to give him water here and there, and take that foot and put it the right way and have him sit for a few minutes. I just took the second brace off after it being on almost a day and he's back to walking on his "wrist". Is there a type of brace I can make to help correct this? Therapy?

I need some help with one of my hatchlings. He was born with curled toes on both feet and the left foot turned inward. I booted both feet and he decided to just flop his foot back and walk on (I'm going to use a human arm for comparative anatomy since I can't find what this is called) his "wrist". So, I went and taped that straight, thinking he'd bend at the "elbow" and kinda just scoot along, but instead he just throws the whole leg behind him and flails about. I take him out to give him water here and there, and take that foot and put it the right way and have him sit for a few minutes. I just took the second brace off after it being on almost a day and he's back to walking on his "wrist". Is there a type of brace I can make to help correct this? Therapy?
Have you tried cup therapy? Put it in a cup that is just big enough around for it to stand correctly for a couple of hours, give it a break, then do it again, until it either gets better or you realize that you need to cull.

Have you tried cup therapy? Put it in a cup that is just big enough around for it to stand correctly for a couple of hours, give it a break, then do it again, until it either gets better or you realize that you need to cull.
I'll give it a try! I have not yet because I thought cup therapy was only for for splay leg. Fingers crossed it works!

My big batch of quail eggs from Myshire has just finished hatching. But with that, I have good stuff and bad stuff.

Good stuff:

31 eggs hatched :) That's more than half, so I'm pretty happy with that. One was also a white, which in this case I'm chalking up as a good thing because I need some more whites for my test breedings with my lavenders to find out which birds are carrying it.

Bad stuff:

They sent me the wrong eggs. I'm 100% sure. Half of what I hatched are Egyptian, which is what I wanted and paid for. But half are pharaoh. There's no way that should be happening in an Egyptian breeding pen. Roux is sex linked recessive, so if you're breeding Egyptian males to Egyptian females, ALL the chicks have to be Roux. You might hatch some that aren't Egyptian, because of weird recessives, and I get that. Like the white I hatched, or something Roux plus other recessives. But Pharoah? Impossible.

But if they sent me their sex linked eggs instead of the Egyptian eggs...well, if they did that, then it makes perfect sense, because half (the males) would hatch Pharoah and half (the females) would hatch Egyptian.

So the problem here is, I didn't get the eggs I paid for, and the whole reason I bought these eggs was to get Egyptian males, because I want to breed them with lavender hens.

I'll put some genetics mumbo jumbo under a spoiler if you want to read why I wanted to do that, and why I needed males specifically, but if you don't want to read it, the gist is that with females, it's gonna take longer and be harder to achieve the color I want.

First cross I would get Roux hens split to lavender and Pharoah males split to lavender. Breed those back together and I get the color I'm trying to make.

But Egyptian hens cannot pass Roux to their daughters. So I needed a male for that. All they can do is give one copy of Roux to their sons. Who would then, in my cross, be Pharoah split to lavender, and split to Roux. All this to say, with only Egyptian hens, it's now going to be much more complicated to get where I wanted to go.

Since the males I hatched have to be split to Roux, all is not lost. I can breed them to lavender hens and half the female offspring should be Roux, at least. But then I can't just breed them back with the males from that cross, because they males may or may not have inherited Roux from their fathers. So I'll still have to do extra back breeding and take extra generations to get the color I want. Or do two different pens in the first generation, which I didn't really want to have to devote space to.

Anyway, I'm gonna contact Myshire to see what happened here.

Baby pictures, since they're cute either way:
rqc 1.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom