āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Iā€™m popping in to share a picture of the quail in their winter pen. The dingbats wonā€™t sleep in any of the caves, so I added a tarp to the side where they do sleep.
589B3733-64E5-472F-AFF4-A13F5E968CE5.jpeg

one of the kids at my private school just got the privilege to have a pet and I brought the birds in as a lesson. when I mentioned that unfortunately I would have to get rid of some of the roosters when they get too old and he said he would take one and have it as a pet. how well would a rooster do alone? I would probably give him a hen since the males will crow but how well would a hen or rooster do alone as a indoor pet?

one of the kids at my private school just got the privilege to have a pet and I brought the birds in as a lesson. when I mentioned that unfortunately I would have to get rid of some of the roosters when they get too old and he said he would take one and have it as a pet. how well would a rooster do alone? I would probably give him a hen since the males will crow but how well would a hen or rooster do alone as a indoor pet?

my virtual class pet is a disabled coturnix who canā€™t live with other birds. She does ok with someone in the room talking to her but otherwise expressed loneliness a lot. :( I gave her a small mirror and a ping pong ball and immediately she started to alternate between chattering at her reflection and making a variety of sounds at the ball. I think they really need to have a buddy if possible.

Two new contests!
First place is a Soap Gift Basket from our very own @Sally Sunshine

First Place prize
Donated by @Sally Sunshine of Lil Swatara SOAP LLC

full

Wooden handled "Vintage" Bucket filled with
  • 8oz Coconut Hawaiian Goat Milk Lotion
  • Girl feeding Chicken Soap= Lavender Vetiver Goat Milk Soap est.6-7oz
  • Hen on eggs Soap= Honeysuckle Goat Milk soap est 3-3.5oz
  • In Muslin Sack= Coriander & Lemongrass Goat Milk Soap est.6-7oz
  • Wooden Soap Saver Dish
  • Exfoliating Loofah
  • Wooden handled Massage/Brush
  • Harmony's Kiss Flavor Lip Balm in Cotton Candy
  • SHRINK WRAPPED and Tagged

Last edited:
They tend to get pretty sad and lonely on their own, unless they were a single chick and only know human contact and even then they hate to be apart from their human ā€œmateā€. A roo will definitely crow all day and night long when removed from his flock, maybe two elderly roos is possible in the rare event they get along and wouldnā€™t beat each other up. I would recommend two hens that really like each other.

Updated pics on my button chicks. I have some really interesting colours. @muddy75 Any idea what these are called? I love the silver with the red edges on the feathers and the one that looks almost like a pansy fee. Then there's Hallowe'en chick with its black and orange feathers. The last one looks downright boring in comparison, but if you look closely has some pretty patterns in the feathers.
1010201441.jpg
1010201442.jpg
1010201443_HDR.jpg
1010201441a.jpg

Updated pics on my button chicks. I have some really interesting colours. @muddy75 Any idea what these are called? I love the silver with the red edges on the feathers and the one that looks almost like a pansy fee. Then there's Hallowe'en chick with its black and orange feathers. The last one looks downright boring in comparison, but if you look closely has some pretty patterns in the feathers.
View attachment 2368381View attachment 2368382View attachment 2368384View attachment 2368385
My guess is:
1. Cinnamon
2. Pearl or Snowflake
3. Golden Pearl
4. Cinnamon or Cinnamon Pied
@JaeG , come see what you think?

Back
Top Bottom