➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I saw somewhere where a person used building bricks like duplo to make separations in the bators to avoid these types of accidents, chick trampling or sitting on a hatching chick. Has anyone tried that out? I bought some mega blocks but dont plan on hatching until Jan or Feb.
I put little rows of thin cut shelf liner between the eggs to keep them from rolling. This is the first time out of hundreds of chicks that I had one do all the work in a timely manner and just not get out of bed. The top was popped, the wing was out, but the head was still tucked. Like it rested after the success and never woke up. Unfortunately duplos are too big, and legos would be too short,and double height might fall and crush a chick.

Normally the little shelf liner channels work great, they prevent rolling, but chicks love to lay on eggs, and them laying there and chirping quietly encourages the eggs, to prevent this contact might lower hatch rate as well.

So, the golden hen from the snowie hatch that I brought inside because she was getting really thin, attacked Pebble the tiny snowie hen who lives with the albinos. They’ve lived together for many weeks, and suddenly bam, now that she was healed, she’s a jerk. So she moved back outside, and to replace her because Snowflake needs his ladies, I brought in my favorite, Amethyst. I just noticed she has blue eyes!

It’s hard to capture because the camera makes it look red, but here’s the best I could get:
07EAE76E-56E3-4D0A-9270-4494FFE9EAE7.jpeg
1CC8AE57-6372-41BF-8464-AC8590B1E0CF.jpeg

So, the golden hen from the snowie hatch that I brought inside because she was getting really thin, attacked Pebble the tiny snowie hen who lives with the albinos. They’ve lived together for many weeks, and suddenly bam, now that she was healed, she’s a jerk. So she moved back outside, and to replace her because Snowflake needs his ladies, I brought in my favorite, Amethyst. I just noticed she has blue eyes!

It’s hard to capture because the camera makes it look red, but here’s the best I could get:
View attachment 2458686View attachment 2458687
Shes very pretty 🥰

So my hatch has finished, I had to help 2 hatch, one is definitely not gonna make it, so he will go to reptile guy. The other I thought wouldn’t make it, she wasn’t trying to hatch, I thought it was a dead in shell, but when I checked she was in there, but she had a big red, infected looking yolk attached, and when she pushed out of the egg it broke and was gross, I thought for sure she wouldn’t make it, I gave her a drop of nutridrench and waited, and miraculously now, I think she’ll be fine, she will need shoes, but she’s up and hobbling around on curled up toes. I’ll tape her up tomorrow if they haven’t gone straight.

I got 44/48 that went into lockdown, of regular chicks, and only 32/41of the sex links, but I culled one already who hatched on his own but looked like he had caught his yolk sac on another egg and splattered yolk all over, he was just weakly struggling after a few hours, so I culled him. Then this other one I helped, which was last, he’s just laying on his side as well. I’ll admit I tried much harder to get the female going, but she did most of the work herself.

Ive had a mixed bag with these bad weather eggs. More than usual, compared to during warm weather, are duds, but the brinsea still had great numbers, I don’t remember how many I set originally, maybe about 80-90 total, and received 74 healthy chicks. I have 37 left now, someone is picking up 20 tomorrow, and the reptile guy is picking up the rest on Saturday, I’m holding 2 because I think they’re cute. This went better than expected, plus I have someone waiting for my next sex links. I never even made a new ad, the last ad that was from November suddenly attracted a ton of attention lol. Next year I’m filling the bators with eggs to hatch just before Christmas. I’m gonna pack em full before Easter too.

Can anybody help me find the post about my quail hatch? Like how many I ended up setting and stuff? I can’t find it (I looked) and I thought I had it in my notes or calendar but don’t appear to have it there either. 😭😭 I think they hatched in June? I’m pretty sure I got 30, set 29, and had 20 or maybe 21? Hatch. But I’m not entirely sure. I would like to know because I was thinking about all my hatch rates earlier and I think I had a pretty good hatch rate with this hatch but would like to know for sure. Thanks.

Can anybody help me find the post about my quail hatch? Like how many I ended up setting and stuff? I can’t find it (I looked) and I thought I had it in my notes or calendar but don’t appear to have it there either. 😭😭 I think they hatched in June? I’m pretty sure I got 30, set 29, and had 20 or maybe 21? Hatch. But I’m not entirely sure. I would like to know because I was thinking about all my hatch rates earlier and I think I had a pretty good hatch rate with this hatch but would like to know for sure. Thanks.
Click the search magnifying glass at the top of BYC while in the hatch a long thread, click the search everywhere drop down to be this thread, and then by member, put your user name, and search. Then you can scroll thru your posts on this thread.

Click the search magnifying glass at the top of BYC while in the hatch a long thread, click the search everywhere drop down to be this thread, and then by member, put your user name and search. Then you can scroll thru your posts on this thread.
Yeah, I did that earlier but it didn’t go back far enough. 😭😭 well, I didn’t do specifically search only this thread thing but did filter it and choose only the quail forum which was mostly this thread anyway but it didn’t find it. It found a bunch of other posts related to the hatch like asking about colors or whatever after they hatched but not the one in question which I know I posted. 😭😭😭

Back
Top Bottom