➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

I'm sorry, I cannot post the reply that I would like to. Rest assured that you would have enjoyed it.
Alas, as long as I get a hearty laugh, a smile, a twinkle in the eye, or even a stifled giggle, I enjoy them all. I'm happy that you enjoyed thinking about a response to my simple post.

A very Merry New Year to you sir!

Happy new year to all 🎊🎉🍾🥂

So ... I said, no hatching anymore in 2020, ... but it is 2021 now *yay* ...

... First batch of the year.
20210103_113800.jpg

All homegrown.

The 88 in the first trays are Brown-wild, Falb Fee, Pearl Fee and Whites and the last tray are 8 homozygous Celadon and 14 heterozygous Ce (roo is homozygous).

Will be a surprise pack, as not all roos are really sexual active atm. I will see in 2 weeks, which are fertile.

And I am curious how much wild will fall out, due to heterozygous birds.

Happy new year to all 🎊🎉🍾🥂

So ... I said, no hatching anymore in 2020, ... but it is 2021 now *yay* ...

... First batch of the year.
View attachment 2473490
All homegrown.

The 88 in the first trays are Brown-wild, Falb Fee, Pearl Fee and Whites and the last tray are 8 homozygous Celadon and 14 heterozygous Ce (roo is homozygous).

Will be a surprise pack, as not all roos are really sexual active atm. I will see in 2 weeks, which are fertile.

And I am curious how much wild will fall out, due to heterozygous birds.
I have mine set up like that too, there’s little post it’s all over the holders saying what they are lol.

I’ve heard quail can get caught and injured/strangled by the silky feathers, the quail are too small and delicate, plus quail are hard for chickens to brood because they wander off and it’s the fathers duty to round them up. They will lay down and die of cold if the hen is too far away, instead of going back to her.
The 2 chicks I’ve been letting the snow angels and co. brood are doing great. I put them in at a week old, but my next hatch I’m going to give them 2, day olds, and see if they are careful enough. The hens only recently started letting the roo get near the chicks, for several days they ran him off if he was near them, even tho he seemed to be caring for them too. It’s so sweet listening to them talk to the babies, totally different sounds than I’ve ever heard any of the quail make before. The babies talk them, and they respond, overall I think it’s a much nicer “childhood”.

Going back to that silky question, giving the chicks to adult quail hens might be safer than leaving them with the chicken. I’m not sure tho, but I plan to continue to see how my ladies do with younger chicks. These are not special, generations of broody hens either, they came as eggs from Myshire in october, they’ve never been outside or acted broody, just normal quail from commercial eggs, they’ve never met or been influenced by my broodies outside.

will be announcing winners to my contest this evening in case anyone still wants to make a guess!!
Which is it? I’ve been spazzing lately and I haven’t been paying much attention, i had to scroll so far thru new posts yesterday, I gave up halfway thru haha.

50 quail
Pearl
Texas a&m
Grau fee
Silver wild w/white primaries
Rosetta tux
Pharaoh w/ white primaries
Grau fee
German pastel tux or SSC /roux tux.

attachments:

scarlet messy tux
Silver range pattern messy tux