āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

Muddy in your aviary setup whatā€™s the fencing look like? I currently have 6ā€™ tail 2x4 welded wire which is great for chickens but I know it wonā€™t work for quail. Is a 2ā€™ high band of 1ā€ chicken wire around the bottom enough for them or do I need to go higher? Or do I need something else.
No I donā€™t think I will take my 2nd pen and use that for quail but just wondering what I would need to do.
hold.....wrong device for pictures....but actually if you click on my coop link it will show you all the picture from bare grass up. I have standard chicken wire on a couple sections of fence and original aviary netting frame is pvc which we are slowly replacing with wire and wood support. netting is 1ā€ heavy duty

I just realized I forgot to post results on my last hatch of 2020!

Myshire shipped eggs (feather sexable, German pastel, snowie, and jumbo white wing pharaoh) ā€” set 137, lockdown 118, hatched 83 starting Christmas Day. I had some humidity problems at the end and lost a few. šŸ˜•

@Kiki
Left regular approx 1/2 lb Right Jumbo just under 3/4 lb
Pardon my late and ignorant question, I haven't been following the thread-
So the regular on the left is just a plain coturnix and the one on the right is a jumbo...for someone brand new to quail (almost there) .... when you say jumbo...is that the Jumbo Brown quail?
Where did you get your jumbo quail/original quail stock from?

I'm thinking of adding quail to the mix because I am feeding a bottomless pit of a kid...

When we talk Jumbo birds, we are talking 3 ounces live weight and maybe 2 ounces carcass weights.

Normal coturnix quail weigh in at 9 ounces. To be considered jumbo they must weigh 12 ounces at 10 weeks old. Most butcher at 8 weeks and 10-11 ounce live weight birds. Like all livestock, that 12 ounces at 10 weeks is a combination of genetics, feed, care and husbandry. Any larger and they are like the CXs and outgrow their bones.

Carcass weights are 6-8 ounces skinned. I have eaten 2 for dinner with sides. Better to focus on vegetables and only eat one for my diet.

For all the emphasis on jumbos, keep in mind we are talking a couple of ounces. Then if you only breast them out, figure 4 ounces of meat finished product.

I try to respect the whole animal and eat all the meat. The bones/remains go to the chickens if not frozen for broth and then the chickens. I'd do better plucking and should move in that direction and make full use of the flavorful skin.

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom