➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Babies are still hiding in the corners but they did come out to play with the guinea pigs for a while.....parakeets are being extra weird since mr middy put a fan inside 😂

Attachments

• 72908BA3-C6A7-4B6F-80AD-756618B3967C.jpeg
    72908BA3-C6A7-4B6F-80AD-756618B3967C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 76C62BC4-F7BC-4C79-A29F-2E5DBE28C7EC.jpeg
    76C62BC4-F7BC-4C79-A29F-2E5DBE28C7EC.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
I set 76 eggs today. My turner already cracked one of them. You can see how some of the eggs got pushed out of the turner. I really don't like this incubator.
View attachment 2691979

I've also separated out all of the roos from my Easter hatch. I had 14 celadons. 9 of them are boys. 4 are hens, and one is a recovering sick bird that I'm not sure on gender yet.
These are the girls. I brought them inside temporarily since I don't want to combine the two batches of boys that I have. I'm going to be processing over 20 boys this weekend. Then these girls can go back outside.
If you removed every other rail, would that eliminate the cracked egg issues? With the amount of eggs you have, you don't need all the rails.

Last update for here:
The Dummy Squad turned three weeks old today! The largest 9 have graduated to the newly finished outside pen. The minute I put one of the tuxes down he crowed! :duc

I took a few shots of them inside while cleaning out the brooder, as well as photos of their hilariously colorful pen.

EBC55217-E01C-4BF3-B8E8-4DB294E6FA04.jpeg

This one is so pretty! Unfortunately it’s one of the non celadon.

BFDE21E8-9B41-4E1C-8D16-C67E488336B1.jpeg

The nine big boys.

DF997162-FFA0-4910-93C5-B1ED83CC4D9C.jpeg

The two smallest & the one with the hurt toe (all from the celadon eggs) & one of the yellow chicks that had its ear pecked (all better now, just figured I’d let them keep the little guys company for a bit longer). They’re going to stay inside for at least another week.

DC510BB6-9002-4C9D-803D-94CAD5696AB6.jpeg

The outside pen! Covered in HW cloth; we ended up opting for a HW cloth bottom too. The giant rainbow flag is waterproof and it can be pulled down and fastened over the front, haha. The kids painted the pen and picked out the “tarp”. I’ve got the heat lamp out there for now as it’s supposed to be 40 tonight.

D5506D3A-5004-4801-90CC-95F74CB1B2E8.jpeg

I’m gonna go out and pick up their food for the night once it gets darker. They have a nipple waterer but I’ve not managed to get them to use it on their own so I put their baby waterers out for tonight. I’m gonna put a dirt bath in there for them tomorrow.

Last update for here:
The Dummy Squad turned three weeks old today! The largest 9 have graduated to the newly finished outside pen. The minute I put one of the tuxes down he crowed! :duc

I took a few shots of them inside while cleaning out the brooder, as well as photos of their hilariously colorful pen.

View attachment 2693447
This one is so pretty! Unfortunately it’s one of the non celadon.

View attachment 2693449
The nine big boys.

View attachment 2693452
The two smallest & the one with the hurt toe (all from the celadon eggs) & one of the yellow chicks that had its ear pecked (all better now, just figured I’d let them keep the little guys company for a bit longer). They’re going to stay inside for at least another week.

View attachment 2693457
The outside pen! Covered in HW cloth; we ended up opting for a HW cloth bottom too. The giant rainbow flag is waterproof and it can be pulled down and fastened over the front, haha. The kids painted the pen and picked out the “tarp”. I’ve got the heat lamp out there for now as it’s supposed to be 40 tonight.

View attachment 2693458
I’m gonna go out and pick up their food for the night once it gets darker. They have a nipple waterer but I’ve not managed to get them to use it on their own so I put their baby waterers out for tonight. I’m gonna put a dirt bath in there for them tomorrow.
So bright and beautiful! They will love it :)

I have an enclosed addition on the aviary......we have a heater and now a fan in there. We kept it 45+* with pretty good success over winter.
They have a hole in the door to fly in and out as they please and the guinea pigs now have their own “piggie door”. All but 3 of the parakeets were hatched out there so surprisingly they were outside during the day even when temps were below freezing.

It would be amazing if these dummies would use their heat lamp. Went to check on the outside quail this morning and they’re huddled up and cold looking on the opposite side from the lamp - and no way to set the lamp up in their preferred corner. :barnie It’s 46 at the moment because the sun won’t be up for another hour or so. The area by the darn lamp is still cool but the bedding is nice and toasty from being warmed - not that they’d have any idea...

So the bird that couldn't walk has been slowly improving. He has been steadily gaining weight and learning to walk again. He can get to food and water by himself. I have finally been able to figure out gender, and he is now the last boy from the Easter hatch. The rest were all sent to freezer camp this morning.

The question is, now, what do I do with him? He's very tame. I think I'm going to put him in with a few celadon hens and see if he produces celadon layers. If he does, then I don't feel bad about all the time I spent nursing him back to health. If he doesn't... I don't think I can off him at this point.
1622324395269.png

So the bird that couldn't walk has been slowly improving. He has been steadily gaining weight and learning to walk again. He can get to food and water by himself. I have finally been able to figure out gender, and he is now the last boy from the Easter hatch. The rest were all sent to freezer camp this morning.

The question is, now, what do I do with him? He's very tame. I think I'm going to put him in with a few celadon hens and see if he produces celadon layers. If he does, then I don't feel bad about all the time I spent nursing him back to health. If he doesn't... I don't think I can off him at this point.
View attachment 2694740
But he is beautiful!!! I would keep him even if he doesn’t produce celadon layers just for the color and personality!!!!

Back
Top Bottom