āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

So the bird that couldn't walk has been slowly improving. He has been steadily gaining weight and learning to walk again. He can get to food and water by himself. I have finally been able to figure out gender, and he is now the last boy from the Easter hatch. The rest were all sent to freezer camp this morning.

The question is, now, what do I do with him? He's very tame. I think I'm going to put him in with a few celadon hens and see if he produces celadon layers. If he does, then I don't feel bad about all the time I spent nursing him back to health. If he doesn't... I don't think I can off him at this point.
View attachment 2694740
It was all part of his plan. :plbb

But he is beautiful!!! I would keep him even if he doesnā€™t produce celadon layers just for the color and personality!!!!
He is beautiful. That was the main reason I spent 3 full days holding him and putting food and water in front of his face so he could devour it every hour. He couldn't get up at all. He's still hobbling some, but he's able to get around on his own now. It's been over a week.

Not the greatest pic

Attachments

• received_238634117937167.jpeg
    received_238634117937167.jpeg
    953.6 KB · Views: 10
He is beautiful. That was the main reason I spent 3 full days holding him and putting food and water in front of his face so he could devour it every hour. He couldn't get up at all. He's still hobbling some, but he's able to get around on his own now. It's been over a week.
Any idea why he couldnā€™t walk?

Any idea why he couldnā€™t walk?
Nope. No injuries that I could see. I found him laying on his side next to the door, and he was incredibly thin. I'm not sure if he was just being kept away from the food or if he hit his head and wasn't able to walk for a while which meant that he couldn't get to the food.

Not the greatest of hatches from my HG but I'll take it. Set 50 Northern Bob's and Mexican Speckeled Bob's, 82% hatch rate. The 2 big ones are F2 Lady Amherst, of which I had 100% hatch rate...:lol:....only set the 2 to see if they were fertile, as they just started to lay when I set the Bob eggs.
The 9 that didn't hatch, 3 pipped, then died? and 6 were infertile.
The pic is of the ones that hatched yesterday, the ones that hatched last night are still in the hatcher.
20210531_071426.jpg

:D

Not the greatest of hatches from my HG but I'll take it. Set 50 Northern Bob's and Mexican Speckeled Bob's, 82% hatch rate. The 2 big ones are F2 Lady Amherst, of which I had 100% hatch rate...:lol:....only set the 2 to see if they were fertile, as they just started to lay when I set the Bob eggs.
The 9 that didn't hatch, 3 pipped, then died? and 6 were infertile.
The pic is of the ones that hatched yesterday, the ones that hatched last night are still in the hatcher.
View attachment 2696521
:D
Love the two giants

I have two quail from my hatch who havenā€™t moved outside because theyā€™re roughly half the size of the other birds. Theyā€™ve been separated from them for over a week now; theyā€™re eating and drinking and seem healthy. One of them was the one we thought was sick because he was thin and doing poorly but ever since heā€™s been in the small guys pen heā€™s perked up.

Are they never gonna catch up in size? Never had this issue with chickens, seems really odd!

Back
Top Bottom