➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

"Wreeeeeee" :love

This batch of button quail eggs are hatching okay after a 6 hour power outage yesterday from the ice storm across the southeast. I bundled the eggs up with hand warmers and put the incubator inside a styrofoam container lined with towels.

1642429712248.png

"Wreeeeeee" :love

This batch of button quail eggs are hatching okay after a 6 hour power outage yesterday from the ice storm across the southeast. I bundled the eggs up with hand warmers and put the incubator inside a styrofoam container lined with towels.

View attachment 2963399
Nice save!! You could have had Balut :confused:

Nice save!! You could have had Balut :confused:

Uh oh, I may have spoken too soon. None of the other 14 eggs have pipped yet -- and they usually are popping out like popcorn by this time into the hatching... Any suggestions on how long I should wait til trying to pop the others out?

Maybe I am just second guessing myself over this one little guy being early -- it won't be a full 16 days of incubation til this evening, I set the eggs late night on the 1st of Jan. I usually wait til late on day 17, or early on day 18, to do assist hatching. In the past, I've saved a few that way. :fl

Last edited:
Uh oh, I may have spoken too soon. None of the other 14 eggs have pipped yet -- and they usually are popping out like popcorn by this time into the hatching... Any suggestions on how long I should wait til trying to pop the others out?

Maybe I am just second guessing myself over this one little guy being early -- it won't be a full 16 days of incubation til this evening, I set the eggs late night on the 1st of Jan. I usually wait til late on day 17, or early on day 18, to do assist hatching. In the past, I've saved a few that way. :fl
Leave them alone. Don't try to assist unless they've already pipped and it's obvious that it's in trouble. It's debatable whether or not to assist even then. They might just be a bit late due to the temperature drop.

Thank you. Gonna go do some housework to keep my mind off it.
I agree... One should never open an egg unless it has already externally pipped and been that way for a while.
I would however though candle a few eggs right now if I were you.
I would look for large air cells and movement in the air cell.

I agree... One should never open an egg unless it has already externally pipped and been that way for a while.
I would however though candle a few eggs right now if I were you.
I would look for large air cells and movement in the air cell.

There is one more pipped! I put in vitamin water and some ground up crumble for the hatched guy.

I... am not well set-up for candling. ._.

The best I have done with button quail in the past is tell if the egg is fertile (all dark) or not at 1 week plus. I will happily accept recommendations for a proper candler. In the meantime, bed for me, and hope for a delayed hatch in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom