āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

About a month ago, my last darth Vader button hen passed away when she made a crazy escape attempt flight while I filled the water, and hit the wall hard, about 12 feet up and tumbled to the floor dead. I had just started getting eggs, so I took the 8 or so eggs I had collected, and I set them and got 4 chicks (1 eventually passed, so 3), which I thought was pretty good for early eggs. The buttons donā€™t make the mess that the cots do, and I can mostly clean the one corner they seem to poop in most and the rest is pretty clean. I cleaned out the cage 100% for the first time, maybe 1-2 days before those 4 chicks hatched. I found 12 eggs buried in the cage, and the hen had been dead for over 2 weeks at that point in time. When the first 4 eggs hatched I set those 12 eggs, and on day 10, when I candled, 8 were developing. 7 hatched Sunday into Monday, and the last one is hatching now! Those eggs were at least 18 days old when I set them, and at 1 per day max, that puts them all at 18-30 days old minimum!

Pics to come!

Pics from the 7 in the brooder:
7CBE8AA6-257A-4D46-8892-F1A1F9740CC8.jpeg

1987C5E0-ADEF-4320-B41C-4C80CC12EFAF.jpeg

Hereā€™s the fresh one in the bator, just hatched:
E33B8DDB-F4DE-4844-BD1D-A98D0E04E5CF.jpeg

25BD4AD2-E18A-454A-B0E8-AECDCF21C0C7.jpeg

By the time I posted these it was up and running, but here it is as itā€™s deciding to get up for the first time haha:
CA852D3A-6F16-430E-BB9B-EE3EC99C38A7.jpeg

Started my second round of quail eggs! Lied to my mom about them, as.. well, she's a bit of a control freak at times and will throw a fit if I even hatch two babies. I'm 46 and you'd think I could control my own life! Sighs. Love her though.

So yeah. Quail eggs. Got seven in the incubator as I type :)
Laughing. My mom is a little concerned with how many quail I keep, but she loves the eggs and compost and she's still in awe that I'm able to cull. She should be more concerned with my sister and her accumulation of dogs.

Back
Top Bottom