➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

Just because they're cute.
PXL_20220305_153137487.jpg
PXL_20220305_153214167.jpg

I received my cinnamon Coturnix eggs from southwest gamebirds on Friday, none were cracked. My mailman has been occasionally doing this thing where he puts the boxes in the corner of the porch next to the door, against the wall. If I look out the window I can’t see it, if I open the door, I have to step outside to see it, so even tho I was checking regularly, when I found them, I don’t know how long they waited out there. It was about 38 degrees, so not freezing at least.

They arrived Friday, I set them yesterday, and a few have floating air cells with loose bubbles which is never a good sign, I’ve left the turner off for the first day, hopefully they’ll strengthen up a bit. Since they were so expensive I only bought 15, and I received 18. The brinsea generally does a great job, I hatched from eggs shipped from Louisiana all winter with 75-87% hatch rates which I felt was amazing, and some even had similar floating air cells and bubbles, one even developed the whole time with the air cell at the point, and even hatched on its own, so I haven’t lost hope. I set like 65 cinnamon button eggs, I made a nice bit of money selling my extra buttons from the shipped eggs so I’m hoping for the same outcome. It’ll be amusing having 50+ button chicks zipping around lol.

In other news, my lonely darth male finally has some ladies. The first group of chicks from his deceased lady yielded 4 males no hens. The second group, much older eggs that sat around waiting the entire time the first group incubated (the hen died the day before I set the first group), yielded 8 chicks and 5 are hens. I moved all 5 in with lonely boy and we will see how they set up their social situation. My cinnamons have lived happily so far with 1 boy and 3 girls. Finally the constant screaming has stopped lol.

Back
Top Bottom