➡ Quail Hatch Along🥚

What do you all think about these? Thistle seed, sunflower chips, and some weird chicken treat? My birds get a (roughly) 16% protein layer crumble feed and oyster shell that I try to keep free choice, I’m trying to raise their protein level and add some variety to their diet.
View attachment 3040603View attachment 3040602View attachment 3040601
Also, weird question, but will any of these affect egg quality? I don’t mind for my own consumption, but I’m finally starting to get orders from friends and don’t want to “ruin” the eggs (I know I’m paranoid but I’d rather be safe than sorry 🙂)
If you want to increase the protein level, use a 20% protein layer feed instead of treats.

What do you all think about these? Thistle seed, sunflower chips, and some weird chicken treat? My birds get a (roughly) 16% protein layer crumble feed and oyster shell that I try to keep free choice, I’m trying to raise their protein level and add some variety to their diet.
Also, weird question, but will any of these affect egg quality? I don’t mind for my own consumption, but I’m finally starting to get orders from friends and don’t want to “ruin” the eggs (I know I’m paranoid but I’d rather be safe than sorry 🙂)
I'm not a fan of treats of any kind. I would suggest you not feed these things and that if you wanted to raise protein then mix your layer feed with a game bird high protein feed.

I highly recommend you don't feed daily treats to your birds.
A balanced diet is way better than feeding fatty treats.

I have no issues with feeding my adult quail 16% layer crumble and I mean no issues.

Giving some treats is okay, but treats should never be more than 10% of their diet. I'm going to chime in with getting a proper game bird layer feed, but 16% isn't too awful for adult quail.

If you want to increase the protein level, use a 20% protein layer feed instead of treats.
I'm not a fan of treats of any kind. I would suggest you not feed these things and that if you wanted to raise protein then mix your layer feed with a game bird high protein feed.
I highly recommend you don't feed daily treats to your birds.
A balanced diet is way better than feeding fatty treats.

I have no issues with feeding my adult quail 16% layer crumble and I mean no issues.
Giving some treats is okay, but treats should never be more than 10% of their diet. I'm going to chime in with getting a proper game bird layer feed, but 16% isn't too awful for adult quail.
Thank you all
I only bought a 6lb bag of each, so I’ll use them up between my quail and chickens while I look for a higher protein feed 😊
I was hoping these would work just because I’m having a hard time finding a different layer feed. The one I’m using now is $15 for a 50lb bag, so not too bad, but this is the only feed store in my area I’ll use. The closest TSC and other feed stores’ grain is (and has been for a long time) absolutely covered in grain mites 🤢

Thank you all
I only bought a 6lb bag of each, so I’ll use them up between my quail and chickens while I look for a higher protein feed 😊
I was hoping these would work just because I’m having a hard time finding a different layer feed. The one I’m using now is $15 for a 50lb bag, so not too bad, but this is the only feed store in my area I’ll use. The closest TSC and other feed stores’ grain is (and has been for a long time) absolutely covered in grain mites 🤢
Would you feel better knowing that I feed my adult quail a 16% layer crumble chicken feed?

Would you feel better knowing that I feed my adult quail a 16% layer crumble chicken feed?
Yep 😄

Would a higher protein be better in colder temps though? I know it’s almost spring now, but I’ve lost two birds just during this cold snap, and a few more over the winter. I remember that I lost quite a few birds this time last year as well 😕

Back
Top Bottom