āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

I had one more hatch, again with curled toes, on Friday. It, like the other one, took more than 24 hours to zip, so I figure that's to blame. Humidity was at 50% and temperature at 99.5. Taping the toes fixed the issue overnight. There're still 9 eggs in the bator with one partially zipped, but I haven't seen any progress on that one in more than 48 hours. I'll probably open the bator tonight to see if it's even still alive. I have my doubts.

15 birds out of 24 eggs in lock down (I said 23 before, apparently I can't count)

Help! Day 17, asked little sister to add a bit of water to my incubator as I wouldn't be home for 2hrs, came home and the humidity was 75%! The paper towels in the incubator were drenched.
I took out the paper towels and, fixed the humidity, but had to take the three eggs out to do it. I fixed it as quick as I could, but they were out for 6-8 minutes! Put them back in, everything is stable now. None of them have externally pipped, but I can hear one trying to. I think it should pip tonight.

Will they be ok?? I'm so upset. Going to make a post about it in the incubating/hatching forum.

Help! Day 17, asked little sister to add a bit of water to my incubator as I wouldn't be home for 2hrs, came home and the humidity was 75%! The paper towels in the incubator were drenched.
I took out the paper towels and, fixed the humidity, but had to take the three eggs out to do it. I fixed it as quick as I could, but they were out for 6-8 minutes! Put them back in, everything is stable now. None of them have externally pipped, but I can hear one trying to. I think it should pip tonight.

Will they be ok?? I'm so upset. Going to make a post about it in the incubating/hatching forum.
No worries....they are not harmed!

They should be perfectly fine.

5am, day 19:
Iā€™m starting to get worried. One of my eggs pipped at around 7:30 am yesterday morning, meaning it has been 21.5 hours since it pipped. Iā€™m planning on waiting until the 23.5 hour mark to assist.
The egg was moving about and sounded very strong, it even squeaked back when I tried whistling to it. I really thought it would be out by now.
The other two havenā€™t pipped as far as I can tell, but one was definitely trying yesterday night. Iā€™m not opening the incubator again to check.
There must be something off with the incubator temp, they all seem to have developed slowly. Which is weird, as I had an additional 3 thermometers all reading the same thing as the incubator for the first 14 days before I took them out.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
5am, day 19:
Iā€™m starting to get worried. One of my eggs pipped at around 7:30 am yesterday morning, meaning it has been 21.5 hours since it pipped. Iā€™m planning on waiting until the 23.5 hour mark to assist.
The egg was moving about and sounded very strong, it even squeaked back when I tried whistling to it. I really thought it would be out by now.
The other two havenā€™t pipped as far as I can tell, but one was definitely trying yesterday night. Iā€™m not opening the incubator again to check.
There must be something off with the incubator temp, they all seem to have developed slowly. Which is weird, as I had an additional 3 thermometers all reading the same thing as the incubator for the first 14 days before I took them out.

Any ideas?
I think you answered you're own questions? Eventhough the thermometers appeared to be reading correctly, were they calibrated to a standard lab grade thermometer or 'how exactly were they calibrated. Just because they all 'read' the same, doesn't mean they are all accurate....could all be off by the same amount!
From what I can glean from your text, it must have cool spots in the bator! ....otherwise they would be hatching 'on-time' and not be developing slowly.

Back
Top Bottom