āž” Quail Hatch AlongšŸ„š

I tried to avoid the shipping issue by buying local eggs from someone I had purchased birds from before (which were orginally sourced from SW Gamebirds)...none of them hatched. Part of it was our fault - I absolutely messed with the eggs too often - but we *also* had some of our own eggs in the incubator and most of those hatched (iirc, 8/10).

But in a fit of optimism, I bought some celadon hatching eggs off Ebay and they're due to be in today...all this talk about poor shipped hatch rates makes me anxious, haha. But I ordered at least twice as many as I needed, so fingers crossed!

Update:
We ended up with 6 chicks from our own birds out of...20ish eggs? It's not amazing, but in all fairness we have one roo and eight hens, plus it's winter. I might switch out the roo, idk. Plus, we had had our neighbors watch this batch and two have passed right after we got home - we think they just didn't figure out how to eat or drink - so now we have 4.

We're also finally seeing the shipped celadons hatch! First baby is out, now we're waiting on the other 50ish eggs.

Attachments

• 20231216_133007.jpg
    20231216_133007.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 5
Got a batch of Celadons set to hatch on the fourth. Fingers crossed for a good hatch - they were delayed in shipping, and had a rough trip because a lot arrived cracked. Honestly I didn't think they'd do anything, but the majority actually developed.

Just hatched just over 50 Jumbo Browns and Whites with another 50 to 60 to hatch in next 2 weeks. Replacing all my year-old laying stock and setting up some new breeding groups. All hatched eggs are from my original birds from JMF lines, Browns from AJs. Whites from Southwest Game Birds, and Browns and Whites from K.C.Q... Been happy with all the lines but my Browns from AJs. outperform the others in final size/weight and egg size. Looking forward to crossing the lines this round to broaden my gene pool. Things have been going very well with the Quail so far.

Back
Top Bottom