🦆 The DUX has woken up! 🦆

That's how my Mallards are but she is separated from the rest of the flock and Muscovy ducks don't quack but as females make a pretty little trill. I don't hear anything out of her. The males only hiss and this is why some people like them. They are the quiet ducks of the duck world. lol
I know! And they also roost. And i want some! :barnie

I know! And they also roost. And i want some! :barnie
Mine don't get to roost as there is no place to do that. My Mule has climbed up high to get away from my Mallard Runner Drake but only on top of a small Chicken house in the coop. My Muscovies have never done that before. I have heard of them roosting in trees and on rooftops before though.

So, here is what's going on:
  • Buffzilla is sitting on five eggs, marked with an "x"
  • Milka Duck is stitting on ten eggs, which i could mark today with an "o" while she was outside throwing drakes left and right.
  • Darkbill Duck's nest contains at least twelve eggs, she was outside together with Milka, caught the drakes and threw them over the fence until she saw me in front of her box, marking her eggs with a "-". Before i knew it i had lost an ear.
  • Tweedledee flew into my face, latched on to my nose, scratched my chest open, removed my left lung and ate it. No clue on how many eggs she is sitting, but its a lot.
  • Annifrid Duck, aka Frieda stood outside the duck House and was touting the broody quack. - And i found a nest with eight eggs in one corner and two eggs were clearly incubated.
  • Brød and Tweedledee share the nest duty. While Tweedledee was ripping me to shreds, Brød covered the nest.
Somebody from Kentucky called me, complaining that my ducks are too loud… :confused:

So, here is what's going on:
  • Buffzilla is sitting on five eggs, marked with an "x"
  • Milka Duck is stitting on ten eggs, which i could mark today with an "o" while she was outside throwing drakes left and right.
  • Darkbill Duck's nest contains at least twelve eggs, she was outside together with Milka, caught the drakes and threw them over the fence until she saw me in front of her box, marking her eggs with a "-". Before i knew it i had lost an ear.
  • Tweedledee flew into my face, latched on to my nose, scratched my chest open, removed my left lung and ate it. No clue on how many eggs she is sitting, but its a lot.
  • Annifrid Duck, aka Frieda stood outside the duck House and was touting the broody quack. - And i found a nest with eight eggs in one corner and two eggs were clearly incubated.
  • Brød and Tweedledee share the nest duty. While Tweedledee was ripping me to shreds, Brød covered the nest.
Somebody from Kentucky called me, complaining that my ducks are too loud… :confused:
I just saw my Momma Muscovy off of the nest so I candled the eggs. There are only 7. Out of the 7 only 1 looks real promising and another possible down the line. If she hatches this one out I will take the rest, candle again and put anything promising in my incubator. I was glad they were not all fertile as I did not want 11 ducklings. I thought she was laying eggs while she was nesting but she was just throwing out the ones that were not any good. Not sure if any will hatch at all but this is her first time and after bathing and eating she returned back to her nest. I'll let her play Momma Duck for a while longer since she looks great and is eating and drinking just fine.

Milka Duck alerted me to SNAKE in her nest!!!

I was outside, mowing some tall grass when i heart Milka Duck sounding the »Stranger Danger Alert« Quack. Dropped the weed whacker on the spot and ran into the dux-house.
Milka was standing beside her nest, scared and looking for help when she saw me coming in. Everybody in the dux-house had joined the Quackcert in the meantime (oh that gas-engine from the weed-wacker is so silent in comparison…)
Anyways, i ran to the patio, grabbed the right welders mitten (for the bees) and a bucket, ran back, grabbed the snake, which promptly tried to bite me but struck buffalo leather. Tried to put it into the bucket but it would literally "flow" back out immediately. For now i have it in an old duck-pellets bag. I don't know what to do with it, it is certainly large enough to murder a duckling, so i don't want to have it anywhere near the ducks.
The snake is shiny black from nostril to tail, dark-gray on the underside. No clue weather it is poisonous, i did not saw fangs when it bit the glove.
Any idea what to do with it? How far away would it had to be moved not to be able to come back?

I was outside, mowing some tall grass when i heart Milka Duck sounding the »Stranger Danger Alert« Quack. Dropped the weed whacker on the spot and ran into the dux-house.
Milka was standing beside her nest, scared and looking for help when she saw me coming in. Everybody in the dux-house had joined the Quackcert in the meantime (oh that gas-engine from the weed-wacker is so silent in comparison…)
Anyways, i ran to the patio, grabbed the right welders mitten (for the bees) and a bucket, ran back, grabbed the snake, which promptly tried to bite me but struck buffalo leather. Tried to put it into the bucket but it would literally "flow" back out immediately. For now i have it in an old duck-pellets bag. I don't know what to do with it, it is certainly large enough to murder a duckling, so i don't want to have it anywhere near the ducks.
The snake is shiny black from nostril to tail, dark-gray on the underside. No clue weather it is poisonous, i did not saw fangs when it bit the glove.
Any idea what to do with it? How far away would it had to be moved not to be able to come back?
Kill them,Kill them all or just throw it into a creek/stream/pond/ocean/lake/volcano

It sounds like a black rat snake. They are not poisonous. I don't know if it would eat duck eggs or not but I really don't think it would eat a duck. I would drive it a few miles down the road and turn it loose. They are great at catching mice and rats and farmers find them beneficial.

Back
Top Bottom