3.5 month old chicken possibly pecked near vent?

misajanae

Hatching
Jun 29, 2019
Hello! Any help or direction is greatly appreciated. This is my daughter's pet chicken- snuggles in bed with her, etc. so I'm willing to do whatever I need to do. We discovered a tiny amount of blood on the towel my daughter was holding her on and when I looked over the chicken, I found this near her vent. I cleaned it, added some antibiotic ointment on it and placed her inside for the night to separate her from the flock. Question is has anyone seen this before? Suggestions on what to do?

Attachments

• 20190629_203656.jpg
    20190629_203656.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 9
Could be pecking. Sounds like you've done what you can. You might add some Blukote or Veterycin before putting her back with the flock.
Thank you so much! should I keep her separated until after it's healed? anything specific I need to watch out for?

I don't think i would separate her very long considering you suspect pecking. That would just make matters worse on her return. I would consider putting her back with the flock if she's not acting sickly, and keep a very close eye on the flock. If there is an identifiable bully, you might consider isolating the aggressor for a few days, in a see-no-touch fashion.

Back
Top Bottom