3 dead: is floppy neck significant?

DragonDaddy

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 6, 2013
Do dead chickens always have floppy necks? The answer would help me to analyze the following crime scene:

In an effort to save their backs from the rooster, I separated 3 overloved hens into a garden nearby the run. They were confined by welded wire on one side and electronet on the other.

Came home to find all 3 dead. No obvious signs of trauma or injuries, no blood, no feathers, but all had very floppy necks. I think I can find a point on each where the neck feels especially floppy, which makes me think there is a break in the spine.

It was a hot day, they had no pellets, but plenty of forage and a waterer.

The only possibilities I can fathom are:

1. They were attacked by a predator who somehow scaled the 5 foot welded wire fence, killed them all by breaking their necks, ate nothing, and left.

2. They freaked out about being separated from the roo, broke their own necks against the welded wire fence, maybe after shocking themselves on the electronet.

3. They died of heat stroke, somehow ignoring the giant waterer in their midst.

Any ideas? Please let me know about the floppy-neck question.

Most recently deceased chickens don't have a real floppy neck. It just feels loose.

Did they have shade? Heat will kill chickens quickly and water won't help that.

I think I've got to conclude it was heat stroke. There were a few hours of no shade. Nothing else makes any sense--no injuries or tracks of a predator. I had not realized that they could expire so fast in full sun with water available. Hard lesson in my own ignorance. Thanks for your insights.

Chickens start to pant usually when temperatures get over 80 degrees. Chickens do much better in cold than they do in the heat.

I have learned a few hard lessons myself.

I lost a rooster to heat stroke, he had good shade and plenty of water. It was a very hot day and him being very heavy just could not take it.

Do dead chickens always have floppy necks? The answer would help me to analyze the following crime scene:

In an effort to save their backs from the rooster, I separated 3 overloved hens into a garden nearby the run. They were confined by welded wire on one side and electronet on the other.

Came home to find all 3 dead. No obvious signs of trauma or injuries, no blood, no feathers, but all had very floppy necks. I think I can find a point on each where the neck feels especially floppy, which makes me think there is a break in the spine.

It was a hot day, they had no pellets, but plenty of forage and a waterer.

The only possibilities I can fathom are:

1. They were attacked by a predator who somehow scaled the 5 foot welded wire fence, killed them all by breaking their necks, ate nothing, and left.

2. They freaked out about being separated from the roo, broke their own necks against the welded wire fence, maybe after shocking themselves on the electronet.

3. They died of heat stroke, somehow ignoring the giant waterer in their midst.

Any ideas? Please let me know about the floppy-neck question.
I just lost a hen too. Her body was stiff and her neck was floppy. Could not find any blood or breaks in the skin. It is cold outside but i have an insulated heated coop room and she was found inside of the heated room. I too was wondering if something could have broken her neck. She was a sweet girl and got along perfectly with my other 3 chickens

I just lost a hen too. Her body was stiff and her neck was floppy. Could not find any blood or breaks in the skin. It is cold outside but i have an insulated heated coop room and she was found inside of the heated room. I too was wondering if something could have broken her neck. She was a sweet girl and got along perfectly with my other 3 chickens
Chickens can get startled and fly into a hard surface and break their neck. I've had it happened. Sorry you lost her. Welcome to BYC.

As far as jumping a five foot fence, just to let you know. Yes, my standard poodle jumped a five foot fence. We raised it a few inches. He stopped jumping over. The raised bottom was too small for him to crawl under.

Back
Top Bottom