Adding a chick door to a metal shed?

BlackdogHS

In the Brooder
Feb 24, 2018
Northeast Indiana
Hello BYC'ers,

Our plan to use reclaimed materials for the coop fell through due to rotted wood from the barn tear down and time constraints. I found a scratch and dent 10x12 corrugated steel shed for around $100 and went for it. A few hours, a few beers, and a few curse words later, I have it up.
Ventilation and insulation has been addressed, but now I'm stuck figuring out how to add a coop door to the side while keeping it weather proofed.

Any suggestions?

Make a frame and pop door out of wood. For example, ;;;; make the frame out of 2 x 4 lumber. Attach/screw to metal wall from inside thru metal into wood. Cut out opening with saw, shears, whatever you have available. Make your door to fit frame. Fill in irregular gap between wood frame and corrugated steel sheet with BONDO. Sets in 5 minutes and ready.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Make a frame and pop door out of wood. For example, ;;;; make the frame out of 2 x 4 lumber. Attach/screw to metal wall from inside thru metal into wood. Cut out opening with saw, shears, whatever you have available. Make your door to fit frame. Fill in irregular gap between wood frame and corrugated steel sheet with BONDO. Sets in 5 minutes and ready.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

Really? Bondo? Never would've thought

I use metal sheds for my coop. I just used snips to cut an opening. The edge was pretty sharp, so I folded it back about 1/2" (don't know what the proper term for that is.) When I need to close it off I just put a board or something in front and block it with cinder blocks.

Really? Bondo? Never would've thought
Hardens in 5 minutes, and in 15 minutes you can be doing this.
3522DFED00000578-0-image-a-29_1465584059784.jpg

Back
Top Bottom