ADVICE/HELP - 9wk old Blue Runner duckling having seizures.

sady___

Chirping
Feb 21, 2023
WYO
Hey everybody!

Introducing my “light-fixed wing” addition to my flock (they will all be named after aircraft; bonnie (bonanza), cirrus, piper, otter, and cessna, given out once their personalities come out more 🤣).

Now, I have one sweet babe who has presented with issues. One day she had a seizure, assuming after she got hit in the head by another ducklings wing, and the following day had another after walking through some very cold sprinkler water. After this she became very lethargic - and after discussing symptoms it was treated as heavy metal toxicity, zinc poisoning due to a rusting galvanized pan that was being used to catch their excess drinking water (around two weeks ago, and it has since been removed). She was given activated charcoal flushes accompanied by a cooked egg/oatmeal mash - and recovered remarkably well.

Today, she had another seizure while in their indoor enclosure (due to bad weather). Im not sure what was the trigger for this one, I went to check their food and water this morning and she was in the early stages of it.

Now, due to this one today, I’m not too sure what is going on. She is a Metzer farm hatch, blue runner, that’s a day over nine weeks old. They are fed Kalmbach feed and are let outside during the day when the weather permits.

Does anybody have any ideas? Currently we have her consuming some more egg/oatmeal mash and electrolyte/vitamin water mixture.

I appreciate you all 💛

IMG_0100.jpeg

my opinion very likely chance it just has neurological issues. if it only happens rarely or not a lot i think it still live a happy life. if it becomes more frequent... well that's if it is truly neurological. some smart folks will chime in I'm sure.

my opinion very likely chance it just has neurological issues. if it only happens rarely or not a lot i think it still live a happy life. if it becomes more frequent... well that's if it is truly neurological. some smart folks will chime in I'm sure.
That’s more and more what I’m stepping towards, she’s happier than a pig in mud otherwise!

Are you supplementing any niacin for your ducklings? Even if we feed the best feed there is we can always have one that just needs more niacin and it's always a good idea to supplement them all. When they aren't having any issues we will use Nutritional yeast over their feed 1 Tab to each cup of feed they get but when one is having issues we give Liqiuid B complex. Not saying this is her problem but if you try it you can at least eliminate it is a niacin deficiency. Most of the time TSC carries liquid B complex it will say injectable but we use if orally by placing it over a yummy treat. It would def be worth trying for a week and if you see improvement then continue for a couple more weeks until she is over have any seizures.. Have you noticed shaky legs having trouble with balance? those can def be signs of niacin deficiency. Most of the time TSC carries Durvet liquid B Complex brand.

They sure are adorable mine are from Metzers also.

Are you supplementing any niacin for your ducklings? Even if we feed the best feed there is we can always have one that just needs more niacin and it's always a good idea to supplement them all. When they aren't having any issues we will use Nutritional yeast over their feed 1 Tab to each cup of feed they get but when one is having issues we give Liqiuid B complex. Not saying this is her problem but if you try it you can at least eliminate it is a niacin deficiency. Most of the time TSC carries liquid B complex it will say injectable but we use if orally by placing it over a yummy treat. It would def be worth trying for a week and if you see improvement then continue for a couple more weeks until she is over have any seizures.. Have you noticed shaky legs having trouble with balance? those can def be signs of niacin deficiency. Most of the time TSC carries Durvet liquid B Complex brand.

They sure are adorable mine are from Metzers also.
We do supplement niacin! I use the vitamin capsules and pull them open and mix it with their food ☺️ I’ll see if I can get my hands on some B complex!

Back
Top Bottom