Aggressive OEGB Roo (Long)

marie_martin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 21, 2007
Grenada, MS
I have two OEGB's, a roo and a hen, that I got from a friend a couple of months ago. They are pretty young. He does not have spurs yet, but they are growing. I am sure he was not handled much as a baby and he is not too keen on it now. I try but he can peck pretty hard. The hen is very sweet but a bit skittish, but she is getting better. She is sitting on eggs right now and he gets into the nest and sits on top of her, maybe an immaturity thing? Anyway, my concern is that he sit starting to show some aggressive behavior. He has started coming out when I go into the coop/tractor and coming toward me like what are you doing in here?? So I figure it is because she is sitting. So now I wait until he is out of the coop to enter and fill the feed containers. Well, he stood outside the last time and watched me. My son was standing by me. He tried to attack my son. He did not actually get him, my son hollared and I got between them and he did not get anyone. He does not have spurs but he was jumping up like he did. I can't let them free range, but the coop is inside my goat pen which is pretty large and he can go into the other pens as well just by jumping over. He does do that. I came to feed the goats that afternoon and put him up and he met me at the gate. He has done that before and just acted like he wanted out in the yard. I did not think much about it but was careful so I would not step on him. No sooner had I gotten inside the pen than he started jumping up at me again. I had a cup in my hand and shoo'd him with it. I don't know what to do. Is there a way to get him to calm down and not attack us or is that just the nature of these birds. I have two chicks in the house that I incubated with my other chicks, some silkies and salmon faverolles. I am sure one of the OEGB chicks is a roo and the other I don't know yet. If I hand raise this roo that I have now will that make a difference or should I expect this behavior from all OEGB roos? I love them but I have to think of my kids. I will re-home them or whatever needs to be done, but I can't have an aggressive roo here. Thanks for any suggestions? I will try to help him be better if I can.

Thanks so much.

Marie

I'm sorry you roo has become aggressive. I have an oegb roo that doesn't like to be handled but has never made the first aggressive move even when I catch and handle his hens. It's really not a breed thing as much as it is an individual roo thing. It seem some bloodlines pass on the aggressive gene while others do not. Chances are, even with handling, holding him upside down, and some other things I have seen suggested, he will not get better, only sneakier. As far as the chick, it would be a wait and see situation. You won't know until he is grown if he will be aggressive. There are some that act aggressive as chicks but are fine as adults. Only one time have I seen a roo change and he was about 9 months old and trying me. Once he came up on me from behind and I caught him with my foot knocking him back. After that, he never tried again and lost all aggressiveness. But then he was beta roo anyway. Yours is alpha so, since you have children, I would rehome him and raise the chick and see how he is. If the roo is his father, you may still have a problem with aggression, but you'll have to wait and see. If all else fails, look around for oegb chicks from a different bloodline and you should be fine. hth.

I have an aggressive rooster as well. He has spurred my right leg so many times that I now keep my legs covered in case people suspect my dh is beating me or I have a medical problem. Them spurs are nasty. I guess I started it all cause Mr Nasty jumped on a girl who had a limp and I shooed him off her. He has had it in for me ever since. Now when I go into the run he comes over but I move very slowly so he does not feel threatened. Mr Duck today pecked at the rooster when he thought Mr Nasty was too close to me. I'm waiting for my camera to charge & will try and upload a picture of Mr Nasty who is actually quite a beauty. BTW we did not name him until he became nasty towards me. Our roosters usually do not last long due to the eagles. I'm surprised this guy is still here cause he crows so much.

Well, I got these from a friend who could not keep them in with her large chickens, they were being picked on. So they have been alone. I figure he is doing it because she is sitting on eggs but I can't go into the coop because he comes at me and gets up on the roost by my head and I am afraid of him and he knows it now. I would not have picked out an OEGB as the type of chicken for me but I do love the hen and he is pretty. The chicks are his and will probably be aggressive too. But maybe if I handle him a lot he wont be as bad? We will have to see. I am not going to have an animal I am afraid of or afraid will hurt my kids. Thanks.

Marie

Back
Top Bottom