All Hens killed by Dog

Just a thought. Would it be better to hot wire your fence to keep the dogs out in the first place? You said they were digging under. I would zap their A$$ before they made it into my yard. Just sayin.
It's a good thought but I live on 3 acres and I think it might not be cost effective. Does this make sense? Another aspect is I live in a wildlife/urban interface, and many times Road Runners and other animals come under the fence that I don't worry about

Last edited:
If you use portable electric netting you can create rotational grazing for them. It's easy, I have it.
Do you have something that covers the top? I have a hawk family in a tree quite close on the next property over. I have tried to think of how we might be able to let them graze. There are so many hawks up here in our high valley that we named our place Hawk's Landing!

I found that predators are afraid of a human with a broom or mop and is yelling at them. I got a fox to drop and chicken and two hawks to never ever come back.

We were talking about keeping dogs out. For hawks, you need a roof. It can be anything, just so long as it forms a net. Doesn't need to be electric. As others have written, places to hide foil birds of prey.

I found that predators are afraid of a human with a broom or mop and is yelling at them. I got a fox to drop and chicken and two hawks to never ever come back.

We were talking about keeping dogs out. For hawks, you need a roof. It can be anything, just so long as it forms a net. Doesn't need to be electric. As others have written, places to hide foil birds of prey.
Thanks. I will try this when I have birds again. My lawyer sent a demand letter yesterday to the dog owner. So a waiting game now. Maybe court next. I will not quit.

It's a good thought but I live on 3 acres and I think it might not be cost effective. Does this make sense? Another aspect is I live in a wildlife/urban interface, and many times Road Runners and other animals come under the fence that I don't worry about
If you expect ongoing trouble, I wonder if you could build a live-trap into the chicken pen when you repair it. If it looked like a way in to the pen, the dog might go right into the trap and be caught. That would keep the dog from killing chickens (assuming the trap is sturdy enough), and you could call Animal Control or the police about it. A dog in a live trap is pretty good proof that the dog was not staying home!

If you expect ongoing trouble, I wonder if you could build a live-trap into the chicken pen when you repair it. If it looked like a way in to the pen, the dog might go right into the trap and be caught. That would keep the dog from killing chickens (assuming the trap is sturdy enough), and you could call Animal Control or the police about it. A dog in a live trap is pretty good proof that the dog was not staying home!
That is a great idea, and I am pretty sure my husband could build it! Wouldn't be too hard!

Back
Top Bottom