Any idea what breed?

dccdmom

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 3, 2007
DSC02539.jpg

What Breed/color am I? I'm thinking old english, but I haven't seen this color before. He is a bantam. He's also the sweetest rooster I've ever met.

Golden duckwing, I think. Do OEG come in that color? Lovely boy.

Might be able to tell breed better if he was standing up... if he's very leggy, he might be a Modern.

Looks like Cackle Hatchery has Golden Duckwing OEG. I can't tell what color their legs are supposed to be, because their picture cuts it off, but some of the pics of the other colors of OEGs show slatey legs and some show yellow. (Big hatcheries often have birds that are not typey, anyway.) Where did you get him?

He's not overly leggy like the modern games I've seen. Typewise he looks like the old english games, I'd just never seen his color. He has slatey legs. I got him from a local feed store in a mixed banty assortment. We ended up with him, a frizzle cochin, and a regular cochin. My neighbor used to raise roosters for cock fighting when he lived in Mexico and said that he would have made a lot of money off of a rooster that looked like this little guy.

What a sweet face he has.

If he came from a feed store, chance are he originated from a hatchery, somewhere. I'm no expert, so I don't know if slate legs are standard for OEG of that color, or if he may be slightly un-typey... or maybe we're off completely and someone else will set us straight as to what he really is.

pop.gif

Still, I think Golden Duckwing OEG is probably right.

yippiechickie.gif

Hm... could be Dutch, but it would be awfully large for one if I'm looking at the photo right. Don't they usually only get to be about a pound? However, photos can be deceiving.

The earlobe does look pale to me, but still red (at least on the bottom--no, I'm not talking about the wattle
big_smile.png
).

Still, it looks as if Ideal carries both OEG and Dutch, so coming from a feedstore, he could be either breed, you're right... depending on size and earlobe color. If he's a Dutch, they carry a variety called "Cream light brown," which looks more or less close to his coloring, although it's from a picture rather than a photo, so I can't tell if it would be right on or not.
smile.png

On the plus side, looking at the Ideal website, it appears that all their OEG bantam (pictures) have slatey legs, so that would be typey for that breed, too.
big_smile.png
OEG are 30% or so larger than Dutch, so I guess size would matter in making a determination... stance, too!

smile.png

Thanks everyone for the ideas. He's 1lb 8 oz. He has some longer curving tail feathers, but not super long like the phoenix, his coloring does look a lot like that though. He's 5 and a half months old. His ear lobes are definitely white. Like everyone says though being from the feed store he might not be very typey. The frizzle cochin I got with him has 5 toes.

Back
Top Bottom