Are trees and brush in chicken run ok??

usalbrechts

Songster
12 Years
May 22, 2007
south east MI
My chicks are about 4 weeks away from eggs!!! My coop plan has been to make about 2 or 3 different fenced run areas so I could have them in one for a while and then let that one rest while they are in one of the other areas. I have only one done so far and plan on putting up the others after the weather cools down a bit. The first fencing was easy as the lawn was all cut there and there were no trees or big brush to get around. Here is my question.... behind our coop (where I want the other 2 runs to go) is all tall grass, big autumn olive shrubs and choke cherry trees that are not really big but unmovable non the less. Do I need to clear out all that stuff before a fence goes in? Is it ok to have a couple of trees in a run? I use netting on top of my other one. It will be tricky working around the tree trunks but I plan on using more netting on the new runs to keep out hawks. It will be a job either way, but a bit easier if I can just fence around said shrubs and trees. Thanks for any advice in advance....
yippiechickie.gif

I have trees and brush in my run. I have a large run and instead of netting I have fish line across mine with shiny metal on the fishing line to sway the hawks. So far not a problem. If you are going to put netting I would just work around the trees.
My chickens love the cover and shade. I find them all gathered around under the trees during the hot part of the day. So if you can put the netting up around it I would do that. The only caution I would worry about is to make sure that some predator doesnt have access to that tree from another high perch. That could mean access.

I let my birds free range and they go hide under trees all the time. I don't see a problem with it, trees in a safe run too will help with them being able to hide from air predators.

I think netting is really just to keep out hawks and things that would swoop in. The trees and shrubs should limit most if not all of that. (Hawks actually prefer a more open area) My run has a wire top because my girls have access to it 24/7 and I don't want any critters getting in and getting them in the dark

If your birds are going to be inside the coop at night. I don't think you will need a cover. I think the trees and shrubs being on the inside would be fine. Shade for when it's sunny out.

another thing you can do is take all of those various discs that you get free in the mail from the different internet service providers and hang the from the tree they work great.

I think it would be fine as long as the chickens are closed up in a coop at night. The trees would make it easy for raccoons to get in. Even if you had net over it, the space where the trees touch the net would be a weak spot.

you could do what people do to keep the squrials and stuff out of the feeders.
just put a big "collar" around the tree so raccons and stuff cant get past it..

Last edited:
I have several trees along the inside of my run next to the fence. I just cut the netting to go around the tree. I then just zip tied the netting back together on the other side. It's worked great so far and I've had my run for 5 years this way. I do have to cut back the new growth once a year that springs up from the bottom of the trees.

Back
Top Bottom