At what age/size are duckling not going to end up rat food?

Jmiller89

Songster
Apr 20, 2020
Having a bit of a rat problem this year and while we are trying to get rid of them, it’s easier said then done. Anyway how big do I need to grow ducklings out before I can put them outside with the rats? In reality I will need the duckling out of the brooder no later then 4 weeks old. Is that old enough? They are medium sized ducks.

https://pestcontrolweekly.com/do-rats-attack-ducks/

We had a problem too and found the best way to get rid of them was the old-fashioned rat trap with peanut butter put on the metal that sticks up. I mean we will never get rid of them completely since they are everywhere but we sure aren't seeing them coming around during the day like we were.

4 weeks seems early to put ducklings out anywhere that is not predator proof - or warm enough. They aren't fully feathered yet, right? I would think that big rats might even go after full grown ducks. I wouldn't chance it!

4 weeks seems early to put ducklings out anywhere that is not predator proof - or warm enough. They aren't fully feathered yet, right? I would think that big rats might even go after full grown ducks. I wouldn't chance it!
They don’t go after full grown ducks, at least not the sized rats we have, and we typically put the ducklings outside in a coop setting that the rats could dig under. We have a LGD that keeps larger predators away. The ducklings always have a choice to go under a heat light or plate but they do not require heat until fully feathered like chickens. I just don’t know how I’m going to keep a potential 20-40 ducklings in a brooder for over a month.

Back
Top Bottom