Baby chick in pain. Possible prolapse vent.

Lomcewen

In the Brooder
Mar 28, 2021
Massachusetts
Hi. I’ve never had chicks before and we recently got 3 isa browns and 3 Brahma. We purchased them from tractor supply and a few had pasty butt. We clean them daily and all have healed except one. When she poops she chirps in pain.. it’s been a week now and she’s not getting better. It’s almost like her insides are outside when she’s trying to poop. We put vasoline on at first to help and then bought vetericyn and have been using it for a few days but I’m not sure if it’s helping. Any advice would be great. We can’t have her in pain anymore

Hi. I’ve never had chicks before and we recently got 3 isa browns and 3 Brahma. We purchased them from tractor supply and a few had pasty butt. We clean them daily and all have healed except one. When she poops she chirps in pain.. it’s been a week now and she’s not getting better. It’s almost like her insides are outside when she’s trying to poop. We put vasoline on at first to help and then bought vetericyn and have been using it for a few days but I’m not sure if it’s helping. Any advice would be great. We can’t have her in pain anymore
I read to keep it clean, the chick separated, use sugar/honey for swelling. How’s she doing?

Great update! Thank you. I was searching threads bc we have a little chick with something similar, but she’s chirping a lot and now I am feeding her by hand. I’m not sure I’ll have the same success as you but I’m trying.

Great update! Thank you. I was searching threads bc we have a little chick with something similar, but she’s chirping a lot and now I am feeding her by hand. I’m not sure I’ll have the same success as you but I’m trying.
The vetericyn I got on Amazon came in a spray bottle and we did it twice to 3 times a day for the first two days and then less and less as she got better.Apparently it’s good for all cuts and scrapes too so we’re keeping it handy. Also everyone says sugar mixed with water perks then up and gives them a boost.

Back
Top Bottom