Pics

RUNuts

Smiling. I'm up to something.
7 Years
May 19, 2017
Swamps of Texas
BBD446B1-9FB4-49ED-959B-A9D830682A9D.jpeg
E97C3FE1-4C20-4C05-817B-F36B2A18728A.jpeg
Since I am new at chickens and hatching, I asked Chicken Rancher at work for a mess of fertile eggs. The 8 put under the broody last year gave 4 infertile. 2 killed by hen and 2 hatchings. Resulting in 1 pullet and 1 cockerel. The hen is happily laying small brown eggs almost daily. She looks like a Black Australorp with a Dominique comb. Unique.

So based on this and my research of chicken math, my goal is 5 new layers. Having a stated goal is important, I tell the kids this.
Expect 50% pullets, so set at least 10 eggs.
Expect 50% infertile based on last years results which are probably invalid, but it is a start. Therefore, set 20 eggs.
Expect 50% somethings because this is my first go with chicken eggs, ergo set 40 eggs.

Since the HovaBator holds 42, this is a good assumption. Someone check my chicken math to make sure I'm doing this correctly. :p

Out of the 40 eggs delivered today, 3 are white. He has a few Leghorns, technically Ideal 236. A few are small and light brown, so call these Dominique descent. Cute petite to small eggs. Medium browns are Australorp descent. Large browns may be sexlink. The dominant rooster is a Dominique descent mixture. Don't remember what he said the other 2 roosters look like. Chicken Rancher likes a mixed flock. Looking forward to being surprised. Today is day 0. Chicks on May 22.

Ran the incubator dry for the week before eggs. Humidity ran 25-30%. Outside is 80% and inside with the AC is 70%. January's quail hatching had water in one tray and kept it at 45%. Same tray with water is 50-55%. A little high. Thinking about letting it dry out. The tray with water is the center one in the Hovabator 1588n.

Ran the incubator dry for the week before eggs. Humidity ran 25-30%. Outside is 80% and inside with the AC is 70%. January's quail hatching had water in one tray and kept it at 45%. Same tray with water is 50-55%. A little high. Thinking about letting it dry out. The tray with water is the center one in the Hovabator 1588n.
a little high, but IME chicken eggs are more forgiving.....will hopefully be down about 10-15% by day 4 candling and addition of quail eggs!! :pop

Back
Top Bottom