Best bedding for baby chicks in brooder?

Best bedding for chicks in brooder?

• River/Construction Grade Sand

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Soft Wood Shavings

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

Gigi Gigi

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2019
I haven't raised chickens before but my husband and I just ordered ten that should be born near the end of the month. I've been doing a ton of research (he grew up with chickens, but I no nothing about them) the last few weeks. I read a lot of information that stated that using river or construction grade sand is best both for chicks in the brooder and for chicken coops. Then, as I was researching something else I found people saying not to use sand and basically saying the opposite of what the pro-sand people had said. I'm just confused now and really want to do what is best and healthiest for our chickens. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

For me, puppy pee pads for the first couple days, then recycled paper bedding.

completenatural14L_large.jpg

Go to your local tractor supply and buy a huge brick of pine shaving, they are pretty darn cheap. I only have to use it a few times and it's still almost full....... I'd give it to you if you were near here as I have no use for it anymore. I think I'm done with hatching any more of them as I am lazy and they eat like pigs.

Two or three layers of paper towels, then a bunch of their chick starter feed. That way all they can eat is the feed and when they poo, it clumps up like kitty litter. When it needs changed, i just roll up one of the layers of paper towels. Worked for me every time.

Back
Top Bottom