Black Copper Shimmer Gender ID?

I hatched 24 out of 25 eggs on April 1st. Some are easter eggers. She had easter eggers and BCM in the same coop with her BCM roo. I have about 14 of the 25 that definitely look like BCM.....some I can tell are mixed eggers and BCM and some don't look anything at all like BCM...except maybe the feathered feet.
BCM x EE =Olive Eggers (OE)
If the EE hens had one copy of blue egg gene, the OE will usually lay a brown egg. If the hen carries 2 copies it should lay Olives.
Yes they are hard to tell apart so young. I keep my hatches separate now. Olive Eggers can have feathered feet also so that makes it that much harder.
My OEs I hatched last year had a brown spot on their heads and started growing out mossy brown hatch down. This isn't an exact who is it? But might help you. Only other suggestion is to start a thread and the experts can help with ID. If you leg band them and number your pics that helps too.
Look for different combs also, altho OEs can have single combs also...🤣
20230619_093905.jpg
20230702_202610.jpg

BCM x EE =Olive Eggers (OE)
If the EE hens had one copy of blue egg gene, the OE will usually lay a brown egg. If the hen carries 2 copies it should lay Olives.
Yes they are hard to tell apart so young. I keep my hatches separate now. Olive Eggers can have feathered feet also so that makes it that much harder.
My OEs I hatched last year had a brown spot on their heads and started growing out mossy brown hatch down. This isn't an exact who is it? But might help you. Only other suggestion is to start a thread and the experts can help with ID. If you leg band them and number your pics that helps too.
Look for different combs also, altho OEs can have single combs also...🤣
View attachment 3832755View attachment 3832754
So very true...I'm hoping we have some nice weather this weekend so I can tag everyone and get some decent pics.
is that chick riding on a roo or hen?

So very true...I'm hoping we have some nice weather this weekend so I can tag everyone and get some decent pics.
is that chick riding on a roo or hen?
Awesome... Would love to see pics when you can. If your interested we have a Marans thread located here...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-to-the-sop.1122465/page-2397#post-27742846
Lots of great info and good people to help with all our Marans questions.

That's 'Momma' one of my BCM broody hens from last year with an OE cockerel on her back.

She's broody now again with 9 eggs under her and I have got another broody Joannie my darkest layer with 9 eggs, also.
All eggs under the 2 broodys are test mates from my roo. The 9 under Joannie are from her daughter Angel another dark layer and the 9 under Momma are from a all black BCM when mated to my slightly over colored roo should make correct progeny. 3 of the 5 week olds are from this hen also but I need to see what the boys will look like.
I'm swimming in BCMs...19- 2 roos, 9 hens, and 8-5 week olds. And looking to add another flock of Marans soon. 🥴

Awesome... Would love to see pics when you can. If your interested we have a Marans thread located here...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ng-to-the-sop.1122465/page-2397#post-27742846
Lots of great info and good people to help with all our Marans questions.

That's 'Momma' one of my BCM broody hens from last year with an OE cockerel on her back.

She's broody now again with 9 eggs under her and I have got another broody Joannie my darkest layer with 9 eggs, also.
All eggs under the 2 broodys are test mates from my roo. The 9 under Joannie are from her daughter Angel another dark layer and the 9 under Momma are from a all black BCM when mated to my slightly over colored roo should make correct progeny. 3 of the 5 week olds are from this hen also but I need to see what the boys will look like.
I'm swimming in BCMs...19- 2 roos, 9 hens, and 8-5 week olds. And looking to add another flock of Marans soon. 🥴
This is my first time with BCM....they seem to be very calm to me...I will check out the marans thread you linked! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom