Unitedsponge

Hatching
May 1, 2024
Hi, first time having a little flock. I have a very broody leghorn. From what I've read they don't go broody and a not good mothers. She has taken over a nest of fertilised eggs and I've left her to do her thing thinking she might give up after a few days. We are now on day 18 out of 21 so very close to hatching and so far she has been extremely dedicated to the eggs, hasn't left the nest and seems to love looking after all her eggs, latley shes starting to cluck away to shells.

I am worried after reading everything that she may become hostile?.
Has anyone had any sucess with a leghorn hatching eggs and being a good mum?

Welcome to BYC.

I've not had a broody Leghorn but I had a 1/2 Leghorn go broody. I didn't let her set.
Any hen can go broody and any hen can be a good (or bad) mother. The only way to find out is to let them do their thing. Out of all the hens I've let set here, I've only had one bad mother.
She is clucking to the eggs because the chicks are peeping inside. Show time is coming.
Does she still have access to the flock and they to her?
Have you put the flock on a good quality chick starter with oyster shell on the side for the active layers?
Please do share some pictures of her on her nest and after she hatches!

Welcome to BYC.

I've not had a broody Leghorn but I had a 1/2 Leghorn go broody. I didn't let her set.
Any hen can go broody and any hen can be a good (or bad) mother. The only way to find out is to let them do their thing. Out of all the hens I've let set here, I've only had one bad mother.
She is clucking to the eggs because the chicks are peeping inside. Show time is coming.
Does she still have access to the flock and they to her?
Have you put the flock on a good quality chick starter with oyster shell on the side for the active layers?
Please do share some pictures of her on her nest and after she hatches!
Update: we have had lots of success here!. Our little leghorn Princess Leia is a beautiful gentle mum!. 🙌 first time being broody and she has hatched 10 out of 10 eggs and chicks are all doing amazing. 😅 they hatched on may 4th 'star wars day' so hoping to continue with the star wars name theme 🤣

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240505_140904_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20240505_140904_Messenger.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240505_141531.jpg
    20240505_141531.jpg
    449.3 KB · Views: 5
Update: we have had lots of success here!. Our little leghorn Princess Leia is a beautiful gentle mum!. 🙌 first time being broody and she has hatched 10 out of 10 eggs and chicks are all doing amazing. 😅 they hatched on may 4th 'star wars day' so hoping to continue with the star wars name theme 🤣
Amazing! Sweet mamma and babies!

Welcome to BYC! :frow

Gorgeous mum and babes. 🥰

May the 4th be with you. :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom