Buff Brahma - huge difference in feathering on 4 week old chicks

emyancey

Chirping
Feb 18, 2024
Northern New York
IMG_8050.jpeg IMG_8053.jpeg IMG_8064.png IMG_8023.jpeg IMG_8024.jpeg IMG_8040.jpeg IMG_8043.jpeg IMG_8060.jpeg I have two Buff Brahmas that are supposed to be female. They are four weeks old today. I read that the Buff color is auto-sexing, but Fern is sooo featherless compared to Myrtle! Her little shoulders are naked!! They looked identical when they were teeny babies. I looked at my other girls and realized that one of my two Australorps has significantly less feathers than her sister, and same with one of my two grey colored Olive Eggers. They are healthy! They all act the same as far as eating and running about and doing their chickie thing. I see an occasional sneeze in my flock, but nothing else. I’m just a little worried and curious about little Fern. Ps. Myrtle just decided last night that momma makes an excellent roost and she is loving pets. She fell asleep in my hand 🥰

Some chicks feather in more slowly than others. It doesn't mean they are ill or that they are male. It's just natural variation.

I've never heard of buff Brahmas being auto-sexing. Males will get larger and more colorful combs before 12 weeks in most cases, and in buffs, males to have deeper colored shoulder and a less even base color. But this doesn't always happen. Often it's just a matter of wait and see.

So I wouldn't worry about it at this point, but definitely keep an eye on the sneezing. If it becomes frequent, post in the medical emergencies forum for help.

Some chicks feather in more slowly than others. It doesn't mean they are ill or that they are male. It's just natural variation.

I've never heard of buff Brahmas being auto-sexing. Males will get larger and more colorful combs before 12 weeks in most cases, and in buffs, males to have deeper colored shoulder and a less even base color. But this doesn't always happen. Often it's just a matter of wait and see.

So I wouldn't worry about it at this point, but definitely keep an eye on the sneezing. If it becomes frequent, post in the medical emergencies forum for help.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom