Busy Momma who loves chickens!!

Summer Byer

Chirping
5 Years
Jul 29, 2014
I'm a busy mom with seven boys, one girl, and one on the way! I have raised three sets of chickens only to have my city zoning board take them from me. I have decided to raise them indoors, as this doesn't seem to offend any neighbors or break any laws. Any advice on keeping chickens indoors and with children? We have a fully functioning basement with windows which I was thinking of creating them a little coop and using the automatic switch lights for their lighting. I will also take them outside to eat some yummy bugs quite often and put them awayin their coop in the house by night. Thoughts and advice please? Thank you!

Hi and welcome to BYC. I’d suggest using the BYC search engine to read how other folks have kept house chickens.

More generally, this is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Sorry to be a wet blanket but, if the zoning board already took them from you, I'm assuming some neighbor ? turned you in to begin with. They already have a file on you.
If you get caught with them again, I would assume you will be fined.

Having one or two as house chickens(no rooster) I assume you would fly under the radar. But a group of chickens is pushing it way too far. Especially if you take them outdoors often. Chickens do make chicken noises and if they lay eggs - the egg song can be loud .

Some communities allow quail but not chickens. that may be something you could
investigate.

As more members come on to respond to your post, maybe they have better ideas.

Agree with Shannon. A friend has had house chickens for over 30 years, till her last 3 died of Mareks. She had 2 mature Serama hens, she never allowed outside because they could fly. Her one mature silkie hen was allowed out in the yard with the dog. It seems the silkie brought the Mareks's disease to the others they died a day apart. She hasn't gotten any birds since.

I would not do it with any more then 2. My first flock were 7 and I brooded them in my basement. We got them on January 8th. In New York. So they were inside for a long time. The dust was probably the worst part. And even with regular cleaning they smell pretty strongly. After watching chickens, chickening the days away outside I just don’t think they would be happy spending 90% of their time indoors. Just my thoughts.

5 yrs to say hi! :idunno Glad you took a seconds to say hi!
Hello right back at ya! :frow

As far as indoor chicken raising in a suburban setting, I can't even begin to list the daily responsibilities that would be inherited.
To each their own but personally I feel livestock should be outside to breath fresh air, and humans indoors should have fresh air as well.
:)FC

Back
Top Bottom