can anyone really tell at a day old?!

ukchickengirl

Songster
12 Years
Sep 5, 2007
Toowoomba, QLD
i hatched one chick and its looking like a BO but as its my only one i REALLY hope its not a roo cos we are going to cull all roos and keep the girls (living in uk we cant really have roos and nice neighbours!!) can anyone really tell at this young age?!
fl.gif

H x

p.s i'll post pics later once its in the brooder

If you know how to sex them by checking their vents....
I do not, Iv'e just seen the video.

The only way to tell would be to vent sex them but that is a skill that takes time to learn and is hard to perfect. Even professionals are only 90% right. Feather sexing may be brought up but that can only be done with special mating pairs of fast feathering males and slow feathering females. Sadly, you'll just have to wait. Congrats on the chick though!

I have a pretty accurate way to tell at a day old. Of course it's not 100%, but it has worked good for me. It is easier with just a few chicks.

Watch it until it poops. If it squats down so far that it looks like it is sitting, it's a girl. The boys don't squat quite as far.

This only works for the very young chicks. The girls quickly quit squatting so low.

Can't you see me following chicks around and waiting for them to poop, scooping the (right) one up, and marking it as a girl?????
lau.gif

Jean

Thanks Rafter - think its a boy!!! Didnt sit down at all just squatted a bit - gonna have to persuade hubbie to keep it, cant eat my 1st hatched baby!
jumpy.gif

H x

You will have to let me know if this method worked for you.

It is nearly impossible with over 300 little ones running & pooping all over the place!!!
lau.gif

I tried it with a small hatch of different breeds that I hatched & I got 98% correct. Hope it works for you too.

Jean

Back
Top Bottom