Can egg laying chickens drink Mosquito Dunk water?

Well, I was looking for an easy way to kill mosquito larvae. Down here they are in the hundreds, if not thousands. But I wasn't sure if it was egg friendly. It says it is animal safe.

The mosquito dunks contain a beneficial bacteria, Bacillus thuringiensis or BT. The BT is deadly to larvae. It is supposedly safe for poultry.

Yes, I read that. I know that.

But is it safe to eat eggs from hens that drank the water?

I don't see why not. I (and a lot of people) use BT powder on my broccoli and kale plants and we eat those. It's considered a safe alternative to pesticides.

"Bt products are found to be safe for use in the environment and with mammals. The EPA has not found any human health hazards related to using Bt. In fact the EPA has found Bt safe enough that it has exempted Bt from food residue tolerances, groundwater restrictions, endangered species labeling and special review requirements. Bt is often used near lakes, rivers and dwellings, and has no known effect on wildlife such as mammals, birds, and fish."
The above quote is from http://www.bt.ucsd.edu/bt_safety.html

I rinse (not wash) my four waterers every few days, at least, so mosquito larvae don't have time to mature. The birds make such a mess of their waterers anyway, it's best to do this all year.
I don't think the dunkers are a problem, and use them elsewhere on the farm. Mosquitoes ARE a problem!
Mary
Mary

Bumping this- we have a small ornamental pond that my chickens drink out of while free ranging and it’s teeming with mosquito larvae! I was hesitant to put some dunks in there but will be now!

Mosquito Dunks​

Kills Mosquitoes before They’re Old Enough to Bite!

The Mosquito Dunks are one of America’s best selling home owner mosquito control products. A product with BTI, a bacteria toxic only to mosquito larvae, that lasts 30 days and treats 100 square feet of surface water.

• Non-toxic to all other wildlife, pets, fish and humans.
  • Simply apply Mosquito Dunks to any standing water or water garden.
  • Kills within hours and lasts for 30 days or more.
  • Highly effective low impact product

Back
Top Bottom