can I use non-food grade DE around the yard?

peacebird

Songster
12 Years
Apr 12, 2007
Virginia
I have small mites on my deck railing and deck, normally I would sprinkle DE around the gardens next to the house after power washing the deck and the problem would be gone for the year. Can I still do this as I now let my birds free range about the place every afternoon?

Can I use non food grade DE around the chicken yard (not in the coop) and dust bath?

I would never scatter non-food grade DE around my yard, with or without chickens in the yard. Even dirt gets blown around in the air when it's windy. Chickens scratching around will make it even worse. You absolutely don't want to be breathing that stuff. There's a reason for all the warnings on the label of the treated stuff. Just get the food grade and use that. It's not worth the risk to your health or theirs.

Actually, mites do drown pretty easily, even without DE. Although the food grade DE is effective on them.

I would never use non food grade DE. You can never be sure of its manufactoring process. Most of the non food grade DE is poisonous to you and your animals.

Back
Top Bottom