Can turkeys get angel wing?

My Bourbon reds' wing feathers look like your picture; the Narragansetts, not so much, but a few have a little bit of that awkwardness.

I think it is just the primaries growing out very fast, with a lot of the length of the feather still encased in the cuticle.

My poults are getting primaries much faster than chicks, ducks, or guineas do, and are already flying to the edge of the brooder at 12 days of age. I just put a little roost in there for them already. I think turkeys put a premium on flight, while ducks feather first on their keels, chickens on their backs. Makes sense when one considers their lifestyles.

My babys look like they have angel wing and they are only 1 week old. Like everyone has stated, it's just their wings growing out. They grow so fast. I get the same thing every year with new babies. Nothing to worry about.

Agree. It happens all the time. The first time I raised turkeys I was in a panic over that myself, but now I realize it's just how they grow. There were a lot of posts when i started raising turkeys about how to "cure" it, like using tape or paperclips to hold their wing in the right place until they got older. Ignore it and it will go away.

Thank goodness these older posts stick around. I took in a half dead baby from the feed store, which is doing well now, but the wings started freaking me out and I thought it might have developed Angel Wing. I've never raised a turkey before so I didn't realize this can be normal!

Back
Top Bottom